Holy HDR Attempt Batman!

KAikens318

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, so here is my second attempt, let me know what you think

DSC_0673_71_68_tonemapped.jpg

I don't know what you call it, but it isn't HDR.

There's no enhanced detail in the shadows or highlights that I can see. All I see is an over saturated photograph with any remaining detail wiped away from over sharpening or something, I don't know.

If that's what you were going for, cool... but read up on what HDR is and give it another shot, I'd like to see it again.

Here's a decent little read on it with a relatively good example:
http://www.oreillynet.com/digitalmedia/blog/2006/12/hdr_postprocessing.html

Last edited:

There's no enhanced detail in the shadows or highlights that I can see. All I see is an over saturated photograph with any remaining detail wiped away from over sharpening or something, I don't know.

If that's what you were going for, cool... but read up on what HDR is and give it another shot, I'd like to see it again.

HDR Postprocessing - O'Reilly Digital Media Blog
+1

HDR Postprocessing - O'Reilly Digital Media Blog

Thanks, I will have to give it another shot.

the pic looks really hazy to me..

i cant remember who it is, maybe Jerry.. but someone on here wrote something a while ago that really stuck out to me.. it was a long the lines of: "before you start editing a picture, make sure its a good picture.. if your try to edit a crappy photo, to make it look good, your just doing way to much work.. take a good picture, then tweak it.."

I don't think you really started off with a good image to begin with..

no that's still way to overdone. The colors look really unnatural

i cant remember who it is, maybe Jerry.. but someone on here wrote something a while ago that really stuck out to me.. it was a long the lines of: "before you start editing a picture, make sure its a good picture.. if your try to edit a crappy photo, to make it look good, your just doing way to much work.. take a good picture, then tweak it.."

I don't think you really started off with a good image to begin with..

BEST ADVISE EVER!

pick your battles

BEST ADVISE EVER!

pick your battles

i thought so too.. so I no longer see a "ok" photo and say "oh i can fix that in photoshop" if the photo doesnt say "wow" to me the moment I look at it, it goes to the reject pile... i spend far to much time editing mediocre photos after a shoot, its time to just focus on the good ones, and make them even better! the longer i spend sitting on photoshop or lightroom, the less money i'm actually making, so its time to just work with the good stuff

I'll say again... why HDR this?

It appears to be a shot that you can get without HDR, so all HDR does is muddy up the shot.

HDR (or rather tonemapping), is intended to give you a higher dynamic range than would be possible in a normal image. A "usual" example of this is trying to shoot the interior of a building towards a window... normally either the interior would be exposed properly and the exterior would be washed out... or the exterior would be exposed properly and the interior would be black.

An tonemapping process to gain a more high dynamic range image solves this.

EDITED EXAMPLE...

Here... here is what would normally happen if you try to expose this properly for the interior...

CBRE%20-%20One%20Alewife%20-%20052%20-%20exterior%20overexposed.jpg

And here is what would happen when you expose properly for the EXTERIOR...

CBRE%20-%20One%20Alewife%20-%20052%20-%20exterior%20correct.jpg

The problem is that both of these images suck, but the camera simply is unable to replicate what you and I see, which is closer to this tonemapped HDR image...

CBRE%20-%20One%20Alewife%20-%20052%20-%20hdr.jpg

Last edited:
I have seen a few HDR photos recently that were of people's cars and they looked amazing, I just wanted to try it out. I think that the object is totally subjective, some people like making their cars into HDR, others like buildings, then there are clouds. Guess I will stop with the HDR until I can find the 'perfect' subject as the church failed as did my car...Oh well, just another stepping stone...I supposed that is why I am a photography major!

It's not that the car can't make a very cool HDR image. It's just that you need a lot of very specific circumstances to create the variety of tones that an HDR image is going to present the eye with.

Keep at it. If it's an effect that you like and you're enjoying the process, then why not work on finding the moment (*car back lit with a variety of shadows always works pretty well) and shooting the image. Especially if you're having a good time and get to call it school work.

Most reactions

Back