Following lines (pic for C&C)

Krazy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
When following lines I am lost at times.
What am I truly looking for and trying to get out of it? Am I looking at having your eyes follow the lines to see the bigger picture? or am I trying to tidy up the picture to make it more enjoyable?
Also, Where should my main focal point be in this picture?
fall.jpg

I know it's not really a line per say, but a wall

yes, i quite like this picture. but i would have a tighter crop.

I like this one as well. Personally, I would crop out the OOF block in the lower part of the image, it holds the viewer's eye too long and is a bit distracting.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

Crop the rock out and I think it will do the picture justice. My thought on leading lines is you want the viewer to have a main focal point let something lead them to it. I'm alittle drunk so hope it makes sense lol

Personally, I would have shot this wider and gotten rid of the OOF rock. Nice concept.

The best thing technically about this shot that I would have expected to see is that the sky isn't blown out. And I agree with the rock... it's a solid shot except for that. It also appears to be tilted, but difficult to tell.

Lines can be used for the things you suggested. Keeping the composition simple, leading the eye to the subject, or simply into the frame, framing the subject... they can even be the subject themselves.

I would crop it as well. The OOF rock in the front would be the first thing I eliminated.

TPF_Forum_Edit.jpg

Well, I have a really Great Example of what NOT to do. Look at this picture real quick....

train_01.jpg

What happens almost every time, is you will see the front of the train, and then your eyes will follow it down to the end of the train, where it meets the mountain (and the sky). You will almost allways see this spot last, and quit looking. I spent several months looking for a spot to make my photo. It was an un-intended consequence for the mountain's leading line to meet the end of the train; it just happend and ruined my vision of a great photo.

The lines should gently "LEAD" you into the photo, and to the main subject.

Have fun shooting.

Well, I have a really Great Example of what NOT to do. Look at tis picture real quick....

train_01.jpg

What happens almost every time, is you will see the front of the train, and then your eyes will follow it down to the end of the train, where it meets the mountain. You will almost allways see this spot last, and quit looking. I spent several months looking for a spot to make my photo. It was an unintended conseqience for the mountains leading line to meet the end of the train; it just happend and ruined my vision of a great photo.

The lines should gently "LEAD" you into the photo, and to the main subject.

Have fun shooting.

I actually think the train and the line of the mountain converging is interesting.

Especially with the angled cloud that curves with the mountain. The image could probably use a little more PP to give it that extra oomph.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back