syphlix

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.gregorytran.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi there,

Took these the other day at DiFara's... the acclaimed pizzeria in Brooklyn...

I can't seem to ever take nice shots of food and i'm not sure why.

Can i get any comments/critiques/criticism on my shots?

Thanks!
3777057106_9569a1764f_b.jpg
3776250621_6c090b63cd_b.jpg

I think the first one needs a bit better focus, the last one a bit of a wider angle. Otherwise, you have me drooling and wanting to call out for pizza tonight. I think that should be the goal of any food photographer - making someone salivate like Pavlov's dogs. So, in that you've succeeded, at least for me.

I agree with the first photo being slightly out of focus. But overall I think they look great. Maybe taking a photo of a slice of pizza without a bite out of it might help. And possibly messing with the saturation of the colors.

But overall, great shots.

I am by no means an expert on food photography, but the best photos of food I've seen have a few common qualities:

*Good lighting (even and concentrated on the food)
*A pleasing point of view (too close here IMO and not wide enough)
*Pleasing bokeh (or just good OOF background)
*NO PEOPLE :p (takes focus off of the food, which should be the center of attention)

The second one isn't bad, just the lighting is a bit flat and it's too "in your face" for my liking. The first one could be a bit tighter. Keep trying! :)

tighter means filling more of the frame?

the first picture i included Dom bc he's as much a part of the pizza as the pizza is... if that makes any sense... i thought it was cool that the painting of him was behind him as well :p

tighter means filling more of the frame?
Yes.
the first picture i included Dom bc he's as much a part of the pizza as the pizza is... if that makes any sense... i thought it was cool that the painting of him was behind him as well :p
It's not a bad "capture the moment" shot. Maybe crop the left side tighter to the man. The hand and magenta purse on the right lower corner is distracting too.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back