Football tips and tricks

Luke345678

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello there everyone,

I am part of the Yearbook staff at my High School. As the Freshman in the class I don't want to be the one that is holding everyone back. I'm not a professional by any means but I consider myself a decent photographer. I can take nice photos and I know all the basics but I've never been really good at sports photography.

Tomorrow is the first Football game that I've been assigned too and I'm a bit nervous. I want to snag a few really good shots but this is my weakest point in photography itself... I always seem to capture blur around the ball and it can be a bit aggravating. I have adobe after effects CS6 and Photoshop elements so taking care of the blur isn't that big of a problem but some times it can be a challenge. It'd be nice to just not have the blur at all.

I was wondering if there were any tips and tricks you guys could throw at me. Specific settings, angles, interesting shots, ect. The games will take place during the day and night so suggestions for both the times are much appreciated!

Thanks,

-Luke

What you will want to do is keep your shutter speed no slower than 500th sec, and your f stop between 5.6-6.3, this will depend on the light you are working with, for the day games you should have no problem, adjust your iso until you can keep it in this range. The night game will present different problems based on the camera and lens that you are using, but you will have to try and keep the shutter speed around that 500th mark, the f-stop will change and adjusting the iso will be necessary.

For the game, the easiest pictures will come from watching the quarterback and running back, either stand downfield with the quarterback throwing the ball towards you, or the running back coming towards you. Or stand back behind the line and watch for the defense running at the quarterback. Basically pay attention to the game.

I will be using a canon T3i with a 70-300mm zoom lens.

You shouldn't have any problems for the day game with that combination, the night game may be a challenge depending on the field lights

Yeah, I assumed so... thanks for your advice though. I'll try to make things work. At least going home with a few good looking shots will be satisfying.

Try shooting at 300mm all the time, if you start to zoom you will find that the images will end up being small, with the crop factor on the camera you should be able to come away with some good images.

Listen to imagemaker; he knows whereof he speaks. He and another TPFer (who seems to have abandoned us) were enormously helpful to me last year when I tried my hand at some of my niece's soccer games.
Don't be afraid to let that ISO get pretty high--better to have sharp focus and some grain, than to have no grain but a useless blur for a photo.

Another thing that helped me: while you do want to "follow" the ball, in the sense of knowing where the action is going and getting the action shots, don't try to nail your focus ON the ball during the action shots--focus on the player's chest when they're moving, and more often than not, you'll end up with a decently focused shot (given a high enough shutter speed).

Ok, here are some things that will make your life easier shooting football and any sport.
Camera setup:
Single Center Focus point.

Continuous focus mode, ie.. AI Servo mode.

Learn to use a back focus button if possible. Check the manual to see if that body will allow you to assign a back focus button. You will want to experiment with this before you use it in a game. Takes a bit of getting used to but works great for any action.

Metering mode either center weighted or spot metering depending on the contrast between uniforms. Similar color depth and center weighted will work fine. Vast differences such as white uniforms vs black uniforms then use spot metering.
If you are not comfortable in manual mode then shoot in Aperture value mode. Control you shutter speed with your ISO. You want a minimum of 1/320th of a second, 1/500th would be better. You want to freeze the action, so if you have to up the ISO do so. Motion blur can't be corrected. ISO noise can be in post processing.

Set your drive mode to multi shot, but don't rely on spray and pray to capture the action. About the only time I shoot multiple shots is when the action is running parallel to me such as a fumble etc.

Shoot as wide open as your lens will let you and still keep the action in focus. When I shoot football I am shooting from the sidelines and I rarely shoot slower than f2.8. With the distance between the action and me I have plenty of DOF to capture the action and keep everything else out of focus. The difference between a Good Sports shot and a sport snapshot is making the action pop. Popping the action means a shallow enough DOF to have just the action in focus, not the players, officials, spectators in front or behind the action.

Work the sidelines and stay about 10 to 15 feet back of the sidelines or endlines. Remember you are there to capture the action, not inadvertently become part of it when the play comes out of bounds. When I am shooting a particular team I work the sidelines staying in front of the team I am shooting. When I am shooting a game, I pick one sideline and shoot from there. That way I have two quarters of action from each team in front of me on offense and two quarters on defense. A lot of what I shoot anymore I don't have a lot of choice. When you are shooting NCAA Division 1 you are limited to where you can go.

Now for the hard part. When you are shooting sports you have no team, you belong to no school and you cheer for no one. You keep that camera glued to your face, follow the action constantly focusing all the time. Keep that center focus point glued to the person of interest center chest for the most part. Generally shoot in portrait mode, again you want Action with out a lot of distracting fluff on either side. About the only time I am not shooting in portrait mode is when I am shooting from behind the end line and the action is within the 10 yard line. Especially if they are with in 3 yard of the goal line or less.

You need to know the game, know your players and you need to anticipate, anticipate, anticipate!!! If you know what is coming it becomes a lot easier to follow and capture the action. That means knowing what is likely to happen on the next play. Know when the likely hood of a pass play will occur or when it will probably be a running play. Learn to shoot with both eyes open. The right eye looking through the viewfinder with the left following the whole play. Again, it will make knowing where the action is going to be and following it.

Finally, shoot low. God gave you knees. USE THEM. Get a nice pair of Knee pads if you want but get low. That way you capture faces and again make the action pop by making it look bigger.

Hmmm……… to shoot portrait I'll have to put a head on my new monopod. Wait, I'm at work and can't look, but won't the lens collar spin to allow portrait?!

I agree with a lot of what you have said, except the standing so far back, I stand as close to the edge of the field as I can. I don't want anyone stepping in front of me. If the Op is shooting for his own school, there is only one team to bother shooting. No point having a bunch of pictures he can't use after the game. I do shoot 90% of my football as vertical, newspaper guys generally shoot horizontal these days for web use. I do a lot of isolation on players. The lens is a 4.5 if I'm not mistaken, so do try and shoot between 5.6 and 6.3, and down the field if at all possible. The night game stay at 4.5 and adjust the iso to keep the shutter speed to at least 500th.

You really shouldn't need the use of a monopod with that camera and lens. Just enjoy shooting and don't over think what you are doing, don't expect to get everything and don't get down on yourself if you miss something, it happens to all of us.

There is nothing that will get you kicked off of the sidelines faster than being in the way of a line judge running down the sideline following a play doing their job. The photographer is nothing to the game and should never to be noticed or in the way. That includes when the play comes out of bounds. To risk a player or players safety is inexcusable when a small buffer can go a long way to prevent something happening. The photographer should never risk themselves either.

There is nothing that will get you kicked off of the sidelines faster than being in the way of a line judge running down the sideline following a play doing their job. The photographer is nothing to the game and should never to be noticed or in the way. That includes when the play comes out of bounds. To risk a player or players safety is inexcusable when a small buffer can go a long way to prevent something happening. The photographer should never risk themselves either.

He's shooting high school football. I've shot over 700 pro football games and have never had any issues with the officials. It's all about paying attention. Standing 10-15 feet off the sidelines limits your field of vision to straight ahead, as any other direction you will be blocked by someone up or down field, if you are only interested in shooting straight ahead then great stand behind people. Have you noticed how close the photographers are to the sidelines at pro games? There is a line that is 3 feet back from the sideline. I watch the game, I make sure there is no one standing behind me, that way if the play comes my way I can back straight up.

You are correct, the OP is shooting High School football. It's not like shooting at Boone Pickins Stadium for the OU / OSU game. The sidelines will not be that crowded and the wall won't be that close. We are also talking about a first time shooter. To easy for a novice shooter to get caught up in the game.

Antrel Rolle probably would not have been hurt last year if a VIDEO PHOTOGRAPHER had been behind the TWELVE FOOT restraining line that was there for photographers. Also would have been nice if he had not been on his butt shooting. Unfortunately for Rolle, the NFL allows NFL Cameras and Television camers inside that line. ALL other photographers are supposed to be behind the 12 foot line.

I've been shooting sports for nearly 40 years at all levels. These days I concentrate on the College level as I find it to be the most enjoyable to shoot. As much as I enjoy it and as much as I have enjoyed shooting some truely memorable Division One games, I have always carried with me the understanding that I as a photographer, am nothing more than an invited guest on those sidelines. I have no right to be there. I have an obligation to NEVER become part of the game in any form or manner. I have done my fair share of dodging and ducking and have never been in a position to effect a game in any way shape or form.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back