For all you lighting fellas

Here in the UK there are an abundance of used MF/LF cameras for sale for pennies as the majority of pro's have ditched them in favour of digital as digital quality is vastly improved even to the point of looking back 1 year or so.

This alone renders your instrument obsolete. I have kept my own MF camera as it wasn't worth parting with and if used I would check exposure using my digi slr, which does have all the iso/shutter settings required, the only instance it is unlikely to work would be for LF macro photography with multiple flash during exposure in which case I would have worked out the correct number of flashes beforehand using trusted formula.

Presently the only time my MF would be used with studio flash would be for BW portraiture, where I still maintain film/hand prints are the only way to go, for this I could still check using the DSLR after transfering lightmeter settings.

As a former pro, I can only say that it makes no sense at all to try to market something new for film cameras. It really is a dying technology. Sorry, but it is true. Work on a better mousetrap for digital photography. The one I can think of instantly is to develop an affordable digital back for a medium format camera. Few photographers can justify or afford $12,000 or $25000 for a digital back. Find a way to make a $3000 one and you will get wealthy. Medium format digital photography is incredible. Unfortunately, few have ever really seen it. The reason all the medium format cameras are for sale for pennies on the dollar is that there aren't any affordable digital backs available for them. If there were, the trend would reverse in a hurry.

If what you want to do is to preview your lighting, then any digicam will do that. If you want metering, any flash meter will do that.

Work on improvements to digital photography. That will get you working on the future rather than the past.

Or a fool proof way for a external strobe to be triggered by the on camera flash from a good pns like some of the fujis.... Optical is fine but it also will trigger from someone else flash and yours might be run down when you need it.

That idea is free and shouldnt be too hard to work out.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back