Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Night shots in Dubai

1)
190050_201864283170993_161641583859930_650629_1246601_n.jpg

2)
_DSC1014.jpg

The first one is really nicely done. Fireworks can be hard!

Thanks ;), i think i had 3 days practicing the FW shoots before i got this. Any suggestion to make my night shots better? Really appreciate all C&C

Thanks ;), i think i had 3 days practicing the FW shoots before i got this. Any suggestion to make my night shots better? Really appreciate all C&C

Well, with night shots without people, I'd say long shutter speeds, super fast glass, high ISOs and Noise Reduction Software followed by an Edge Sharpener. I actually think you are doing pretty well though.

First one is very well executed, now print it out and you got your self a post card ;)

The second one seems a tad overexposed and whatever that is at the bottom of the photo is super distracting, so cropping that out would help. The really bright light at the top there is also distracting and detracts from the rest of the composition.

Lucky you for having such a beautiful city to take pictures of.

First one is very well executed, now print it out and you got your self a post card ;)

The second one seems a tad overexposed and whatever that is at the bottom of the photo is super distracting, so cropping that out would help. The really bright light at the top there is also distracting and detracts from the rest of the composition.

Lucky you for having such a beautiful city to take pictures of.

Thanks for the comment, I think i will go again to this place and have another shoot. Yeay Dubai is really a good place lots of things to practice with

Well, with night shots without people, I'd say long shutter speeds, super fast glass, high ISOs and Noise Reduction Software followed by an Edge Sharpener. I actually think you are doing pretty well though.

Thanks, comments noted and will apply it with my practice shoots ;)

First one's great. Really nice focus on the exploding fireworks.

First one's great. Really nice focus on the exploding fireworks.

Thanks will post more when i recover my HD, its not opening :(

Well, with night shots without people, I'd say long shutter speeds, super fast glass, high ISOs and Noise Reduction Software followed by an Edge Sharpener.

Err, what? Why would you need a large aperture and high ISO if you're shooting off a tripod? High ISO would be about the worst thing you could do for a long exposure, although shooting fast glass wide open would be pretty horrible too.

Who said anything about large aps? I'd say go with as fast as your glass can go. 1.2 to 2.8. No one said anything about large aps.
Fokker, you need to re read what I said, and not what you think I said. High ISO is golden if you have the software to fix it, but nowdays, a Nikon at 6400 is fine.
That is where a good camera can make a difference.
Where in the heck did you read deep aps??????:waiting:

first shot is fantastic ... that's the real "WOW" shot. second is good too but i know how difficult capturing fireworks is. Good Job!

Who said anything about large aps? I'd say go with as fast as your glass can go. 1.2 to 2.8. No one said anything about large aps.
Fokker, you need to re read what I said, and not what you think I said. High ISO is golden if you have the software to fix it, but nowdays, a Nikon at 6400 is fine.
That is where a good camera can make a difference.
Where in the heck did you read deep aps??????:waiting:

I'm a bit confused here, but then I've only been in the game for 30 odd years or so.

You stated that you should go as fast as your glass can go between f1.2 through f2.8 which actually are LARGE APERTURES, that is they have BIG HOLES (an aperture is a hole by the way), whereas small apertures (that is small holes) are those from f11 through to f64 or whatever depending on the lens and format you are using.

So, actually You need to read what you said, but more importantly, understand what you said, as Fokker is correct and I am afraid you are not.

I agree with Fokker. If you can use a tripod then stick to low ISO (for quality and maximum dynamic range - usually important in night photography, because the subject brightness range is often great) and medium apertures with long shutter speeds. Only if you have to hand-hold or stop subject movement should you use high ISOs and large apertures (low f-numbers). Use Raw to get the maximum dynamic range, and be aware of which of your lenses are prone to flare and/or ghosting, and coma when wide open if you will be shooting wide open.

Fireworks can be shot with long or short shutter speeds - each approach gives a different effect with the latter being less common, I'd guess. Remember that the fireworks themselves are roughly as bright as daylight sky, albeit small and in motion - so they set their own 'shutter speed' in effect.

I guess that it is worth understanding and remembering, to avoid confusion, that aperture is correctly described as f/1.2 or f:1.2 etc and the equivalent f-number is 1.2. The aperture is not 1.2. Hence large apertures like f/1.2 are associated with small f-numbers like 1.2.

Best,
Helen

Last edited:
The first one is awesome!
Like Davor said, cropping out whatever that is at the bottom would make that picture better.

Very nice:D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back