For the 1,000,000,000th time, Need help with lens selection for my new 400d. :D

a4crazy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know this question comes up a lot, but I was wondering if I could get some suggestions on a lens purchase. I am mostly going to be doing photo shoots of cars, any suggestions would greatly be appreciated! :mrgreen:

Lens selection is not really difficult. You have to factor in what you like to shoot, and how you want to shoot it. What kinds of compositions do you have in mind? If you can pre-visualize the type of shots you want to take, and you have a basic understanding of focal lengths, the decision becomes only a matter of reading a few reviews of different lenses and picking the best match of price vs performance.

Nobody can tell you what is the best lens for you, because ultimately only you know what you want from your photography.

This is a good site for lens reviews: http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/

Lens selection is not really difficult. You have to factor in what you like to shoot, and how you want to shoot it. What kinds of compositions do you have in mind? If you can pre-visualize the type of shots you want to take, and you have a basic understanding of focal lengths, the decision becomes only a matter of reading a few reviews of different lenses and picking the best match of price vs performance.

Nobody can tell you what is the best lens for you, because ultimately only you know what you want from your photography.

This is a good site for lens reviews: http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/

Thanks , I will check out the website.

I know this question comes up a lot, but I was wondering if I could get some suggestions on a lens purchase. I am mostly going to be doing photo shoots of cars, any suggestions would greatly be appreciated! :mrgreen:

The Fred Miranda site is the first place I go when looking at lens comparisons, reviews, average prices, whatever.

Here's another site that gives specs. filter sizes and a complete lineup of all the Canon lenses.

http://www.usa.canon.com/html/eflenses/lineup/index.html

Canon's own lens specification chart in pdf

http://www.usa.canon.com/html/eflenses/pdf/spec.pdf

Although you want to look at comparisons, if you know what you want to shoot we can maybe give advice on the TYPE of lens yu should be looking at.

Give us more info and you'll receive more in return.

Cheers
Jim

Depends on what you want to do for the shooting the cars. Myself and few friends normally shoot cars every weekend. If your shooting at a car show, I have a 17-85mm "IS" lens for that duty and almost all other of my photos come out of that lens. If you want to shoot moving cars or shoot while moving, the 24-70 2.8 L series lens from Canon is soooo freaking good its unreal the shots you can get from that lens. Tell us how much you have to spend and we'll suggest something for you.

Silly me didn'tr see cars there!! I love the wide angle for these types of shoots but not everyone's taste. I think the 17-55 f2.8 IS would do well. If you can't afford that look at the Tamron 17-50 f2.8.

IMO the 17-85 is too slow (max aperture at max zoom is 2 stops slower - 4x less light than the 2.8s above).

Silly me didn'tr see cars there!! I love the wide angle for these types of shoots but not everyone's taste. I think the 17-55 f2.8 IS would do well. If you can't afford that look at the Tamron 17-50 f2.8.

IMO the 17-85 is too slow (max aperture at max zoom is 2 stops slower - 4x less light than the 2.8s above).

It depends on what hes shooting, if the cars not moving, the 17-85mm is a great lens for every other type of photography, I think the reach of the 85 over the 55 was well worth it for me, and although ive only shot a few times with the 17-85 I like it soo much more.

50mm 1.8 or 1.4 so you can get great DOF on certain parts, IE badges. The 1.8 is cheap too.

Thanks for the input guys and definitely will look into these!

Shooting cars you can shhot macro with a macro lens. Sports, Fine art, Pack Shots etc etc. Just find what you want to do. And go for the best quality lens you can afford.
When you know for certain what you want to do I am sure that several people here will have used the lens you are interested in , and be more than willing to give their best comments and advice.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back