For the non purists...

Dionysus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Do you find yourself doing heavy processing more in RAW or in photoshop? I see both sides of the fence, and I dont know if there are any differences in the approach. Right now, I do a lot of work on my photos in RAW, and fine tune in Photoshop. There are some I've read who just fix exposure/white balance and then do all their other stuff (contrast, saturation, etc) in Photoshop...

does it all end up the same, or does one way have an added benefit over the other?

in RAW i only adjust exposure and white balance...if needed...other stuff i do in PS..but i don't do heavy processing with my images...

Are you talking about ACR (Adobe Camera RAW)?

ACR is just an extension of photo shop that lets you adjust aspects of the photo that could otherwise be more difficult to process in photoshop. All RAW files require at least a dab of sharpening. People that don't even do that are showing photos that haven't be all the way through the "development" process yet.

Developing a RAW image is not unpure

You can speed things up by download a trial of LR2

ACR- exposure, temp & tint.

CS2- the rest.

I used to adjust other sliders in camera raw, like saturation and sharpening but to me, I get better resluts doing this in photshop. Depending on the photo, I tend to do a lot of layer masking.

by unpure i meant the people who try for the "get it right in one shot" and dont do ANY processing.

The majority of the work should be done when you take the shot (well I use mostly film...so i kind of have to have ALL the work done when I take the picture....)

When I take some snapshots on my digital (off brand cheapo one I bought off ebay for 20 bucks), I set the white balance..and the exposure compensation. Thats about all Im can do...then I edit a wee bit in Picasa. I use picasa so I dont get carried away with the editing :)

ima a simple dood.

Developing a RAW image is not unpure

You can speed things up by download a trial of LR2

I agree! It is no more "unpure" than using contrast filters in an enlarger.

I switched my workflow from Photoshop CS to Capture one and now LR2. Never looked back. I still leverage the other two on occasion but LR2 really speeds things up quite a bit.

Most reactions

Back