For the wedding photogs...

Good article.

I don't shoot weddings but I agree with him. I've shot film for over 35 years and went digital a few years ago. I still do film every now and then but just picked up an old F4S and 2 dozen rolls of film. Heading down to Mexico in a few weeks and only taking film this time.

Thanks for posting the link.

Great article! I know at my first wedding I was so afraid of missing the shots that I probably spent more time "chimping" and therefore missed the really great shots :lol: Thanks for posting this!

The histogram is probably the best tool available to the digital photographer and learning how to read this can be invaluable, especially for the proffesional photographer capturing a one off special event. Every shot deserves a glance at the preview screen, if only to check this. I think it's daft saying a photographer of the 30's and 40's didn't preview their shots after they were taken, of course they didn't but do you think think they might if they could?

Mohain said:
The histogram is probably the best tool available to the digital photographer...

It's certainly one of the best. I've been at this for 30+ years, and shooting digital for the last 3. I DO watch the data... EVERY time the lighting scheme changes. I've never heard it called "chimping," but not matter. I call it irresponsible if one doesn't stay on top of it.

When I was shooting negative film, with it's greater latitude, I was more cavalier.

I've always said that a photographer MUST know what's happening when he/she trips the shutter. THAT'S our job! But still.... why would anyone pass on a chance to confirm what's happening? Things do go wrong sometimes. If I have IN MY HANDS a quick, easy, cheap "safety net," I'm using it. It's faster than bracketing, and cetainly less painful than doing "additional photography."

I say chimp away if that's what it takes.

Pete

I've read this and I totally agree. Funny but I still feel WAY more comfortable shooting weddings on film than on digital. We're actually shooting one tonight and it will be my 2nd digital wedding ever. Funny timing on you posting this as Malachite and I are attending a one day wedding workshop with Joe Buissink tomorrow. I'm REALLY excited about it. :mrgreen:

I think there's a wider point in chimping that is to do with confidence. I think although you learn quicker from a digital cam due to the immediate feedback, I am still in the habit of checking lots of shots on the screen. I guess if I was used to shooting film I wouldn't have this habit because I was more confident about having the shot.

Still saying that, very rarely does chimping get you 'that shot' again. If you've taken the time to check your screen you've probably missed the opportunity to take another one

Christie Photo said:
I DO watch the data... EVERY time the lighting scheme changes. I've never heard it called "chimping," but not matter.
You aren't chimping. You are merely checking the data. Chimping is when you couple that with 'ooohhs and aahs'. :p

photogoddess said:
Funny timing on you posting this as Malachite and I are attending a one day wedding workshop with Joe Buissink tomorrow.
Awesome, please keep us posted! :)

I have never shot a wedding on digital since I got out before the cameras were good enough. I recommended to my son in law that he go digital for that reason, check the image to be sure there is something there.

If anyone didn't come close to ulcers waiting to see the negs from a film shoot, they have my admiration. It didn't matter how smooth it when (which they seldom did) we were still there monday morning hoping the lab would do the negs while we waited. At least me and a half dozen others I know were. We would go for coffee while they souped the negs and sweat it out.

And there is a question in somebody's mind that an old timer wouldn't have checked horse hocky..

I agree that when shooting weddings checking the images and the historgrams is important. But when do more PJ style shots it isn't necessary for every single shot.

When I think of chimping I think of someone taking a shot and ignoring everything else as they just stare at the LCD drooling over a picture.

He makes super points! But I'm definitely guilty of chimping when I'm off work and just shooting randomly for pleasure...:confused:

However, I will NEVER chimp at work. I am as professional as I can be there :)

a quick double check glance is all I ever do when I need to mak sure something out of my control didnt just occur, (subject blinking etc..)

but how is that any different than film guys double checking their exposure, light meters, film tubes, etc.......

Most reactions

New Topics

Back