For those that wear glasses

Thethirdeyeblind

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've always was confused when I try to take a photo do I take my glasses off or not? I usually do but would that effect the picture being taken by the camera?

Thanks

BTW I use a canon 5d mk2

You’ll want to be able to see the frame clearly, as well as read the information displayed in the viewfinder. Some people who require vision correction just press their glasses up to the viewfinder, while others will wear contacts to avoid the annoyance. I went a different route and added a corrective diopter so I have close to 20/20 vision when I look through the viewfinder without my glasses.

I went a different route and added a corrective diopter so I have close to 20/20 vision when I look through the viewfinder without my glasses.

But then you won’t be able to see when you take your eye away.

I find no reason to take my glasses off for photography.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't think taking off glasses is a good idea in any way.

For me the current solution is contact lenses. So much better than glasses all around if you can tolerate them.

Eventually I plan to get laser surgery but that’s an entirely different can of worms.

I keep mine on. As said above, once you take your eye away, you cannot see the subject/scene. If you are photographing a live subject or moving one, that would make it almost impossible.

I make sure to bring a lens wipe with me when I'm out shooting :(

I either leave my glasses on or wear my contacts. I prefer to shoot with my contacts but I don't mind shooting with my glasses on. Like @Braineack said, carry a lens cloth/wipe with you to help clean glasses off.

I cant do contacts. I discussed getting lasic or prk recently -- I hate glasses so much.

I keep my glasses on, that way I can clearly see what I'm shooting through the camera lens and clearly see what I want to shoot next, with no down time or fuss.

Last edited:
I make sure to bring a lens wipe with me when I'm out shooting :(

The coatings on lens glass are vary similar to the coatings on eye glasses so those lens wipes come in handy for both lenses and eye glasses.

I used to wear contacts... but now I need bifocals and contacts don't work for that (not unless there's something new I don't know about). Putting glasses on & off all the time was clearly not going to work... so I just leave them on.

A few years ago, I saw an interesting pair of glasses where the lenses were hinged and you could swing it out of the way without removing the glasses. That sounded interesting, but I've never seen seen them again. I have no idea if they were any good (I saw an ad... not the actual product.)

I'm a 'leave 'em on' person. When I first needed glasses more than 50 years ago while in college, I quickly decided that leaving them on was a lot easier than having them fall out of my shirt pocket whenever I bent over to pick up my other books in class, etc. I've kept them on ever since. I considered contacts as well as Lasik surgery several times, but a childhood eye injury made contacts not an option and Lasik would have to be redone every few years as my eyes got older.

The only downside I see shooting with my glasses on is that I end up shooting everything a bit 'wide'. Fortunately, that's easily corrected in post as is a sometimes slight tilt...

I leave my glasses on.

Many years ago I bought and used the viewfinder diopter lens. It worked for looking thru the camera. But as soon as I lowered the camera . . . everything was a fog, and that was NOT good. So from a practical perspective, it was useless and an expensive experiment.

For me, the question is not glasses on or off but rather which glasses are on. For smaller format it's bi-focals. For LF it's readers and focusing loupe. I once tried those seamless bi-focals, the ones with no line, but found the part I needed most was the fuzzy part in the middle. That was with using a prism finder on a 'blad. Yes, the cameras always scratched my glasses, or I scratched them in the way I used cameras but I figure it the cost of doing business and replaced them yearly.

Most reactions

Back