Foreground/Background Focus Issue

pado

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,
This might sound like a simple question, but I'm having problems figuring out how to take a picture that focuses on a subject in the foreground, but still allows for the background to be in focus as well. I have a Canon EOS XTi and tried to manually open the aperture up to its highest setting, but then the camera takes too long to take a photo and I don't keep my hands steady enough so the picture is blurry. Isn't there an automatic setting that does this? I tried going through all of the automatic settings and couldn't find one. Am I missing something? Thank you for the help in advance.

Use small aperture (big F number) and up the ISO. Or better yet get a tripod so you can use long exposure time. You can also try manually focusing between your subject and the backround so that both are in relative good focus.

Hi,
This might sound like a simple question, but I'm having problems figuring out how to take a picture that focuses on a subject in the foreground, but still allows for the background to be in focus as well. I have a Canon EOS XTi and tried to manually open the aperture up to its highest setting, but then the camera takes too long to take a photo and I don't keep my hands steady enough so the picture is blurry. Isn't there an automatic setting that does this? I tried going through all of the automatic settings and couldn't find one. Am I missing something? Thank you for the help in advance.

Actually, going to the highest F-stop number (smallest opening) likely won't yield the best results. Each lens has a sweet spot for sharpness and DOF and any value after the sweet spot will start introducing aberrations and softness to the image. Somewhere around f11-f13ish is a good place to start. You should also check the hyper-focal distance for your camera with the lens/focal length/distance combination. Hyper-focal distance will yield your best results for getting almost everything in focus.

Staying on the low end of your lens' focal length would help too (i.e. don't zoom in too much).

You're really talking about depth-of-field, where what you want (foreground, and subject) is in focus. An experienced photographer will use his or her knowledge to select an appropriate aperture (f/stop) which would give the correct amount of depth-of-field, and the correct focus point (which centers the depth-of-field range), and the correct focal length (since depth-of-field is related to both aperture and focal length). There's nothing automatic about this, unfortunately.

Most reactions

Back