Forgot a key piece of equipment for night shots

LittleMike

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I seem to be doing this stuff more and more. I think I should just get a spare remote shutter release to keep in my bag at all times (one should be enough, but I always seem to put it in my pocket and forget about it). That's exactly what happened from the last time I went out night shooting.

Well tonight, I managed to convince a ranger in Zion N.P. to give me clearance to drive up the canyon at night after the shuttles stopped running. He made it clear it would only be a one-time thing, and said he really shouldn't even let me do it at all. I had my one chance to get a shot I've been waiting for months to get. After I got up there and got set up, I realized I had forgotton my remote shutter release! I just couldn't believe I had forgotton one of the most important things for long exposures. I decided to still take a 30 second photo at ISO 2000 just to see if I would try to return to the spot if I can ever get clearance again. I'm thinking that I'm going to jump through as many hoops as I can to get back there and give it another go. I've heard that if you offer to donate a print to the Park they can be pretty cooperative :thumbup:

IMG_2898small.jpg

Canon 5DmkII w/24-105L
f/4
30 sec exposure
ISO 2000

That's gorgeous man, very cool the Ranger let you in too!

Shutter release, while nice, is not detrimental to the shot. I'd say forgetting the tripod would be the most important thing to NOT forget lol. Just put your timer onto 10 seconds or 5 and let it roll from there.

Thanks!

Haha yeah the tripod would have been a big oops, but I was going to go for a 30+ minute exposure to capture star trails. The longest the camera will set itself for is 30 seconds. If I would have had some tape I would have just taped the button down while it was on Bulb :lol:

AHHHHHHH, makes sense now lol

Go back and talk your way in with another Ranger this time ;)

I'm thinking I just may do that. Or I might try to make the date on the permit look like 5/13 instead of 5/12. It's not like anybody is up there to check it that late at night anyways :greenpbl:

^lol

Awesome photo!

Scored another pass for Zion Canyon tonight! All it took was 30 minutes of talking (or complaining, depending on how you look at it) at the ranger's station. This time they gave me clearance to basically do whatever I want for however long I want. Well, for tonight anyways. I'm hoping the few clouds clear up by then! This is my second 1-time deal :lmao:

Most reactions

Back