Formal Photographs

Peanuts

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.brittanyesther.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ah! I can't believe this has snuck up on me. I was asked to take somewhat formal pictures at the winter formal at my school later this week - which I agreed to. I have been planning on planning (oh the irony) for weeks, but suddenly here it is!

I am going to probably have to flash heads with possible a softbox as my main light and the second with.. an umbrella (?) as my fill. I haven't seen the location (though I have been asking for an idea of the area) but from my understanding I might have a 'classy' rock wall to shoot against. One of my main concerns are posing. People are going to be wearing anything from gowns to cocktail dresss, sport jackets to suits. One thing I do know - triangles are good. Leaning on the 'back' foot is good. Tipping chin down slightly for the girls is good and tipping chin up slightly for guys is good. But otherwise, I don't even know where to start looking. It would be lovely to have some posing 'samples' on hand - but of course I don't want to be stealing images off the net. So.. here is my questions in point form.

Positioning of lights? Lighting ratio?

Posing - guys, girls, couples, small groups?

Some good jokes to crack? *kidding*.. er.. maybe not.

Any help would be appreicated. Thanks!

I'd suggest that you get your lighting set up down pat. If you don't have a nice background...then work with what you have. Just make sure that you aren't getting ugly shadows. Maybe a background light? It doesn't need to be too complicated...just set it, and forget it.

Similar to a wedding, the subjects will be dressed up and have their hair done etc...they should be feeling pretty good about that...so use that. Tell them how good they look. If they are feeling it...it will show in the photos. Don't worry too much about the pose...concentrate on getting a good smile and a natural looking pose...rather than a static pose. That's my idea anyway. It may be easier to shoot 100 couples if you have them strike a pose and then move on.

Thanks for the reply. I am just quickly reviewing all the information and books I can get my hands on, and then I am running to get ready. Thanks once again for your time, I think I will have to do just that.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back