Fotokemika Efke positive paper?

delogren

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Howdy, folks,

A few weeks ago I began to wonder why non-digital b/w photography had to go through a negative/negative process to get a positive print. Doesn't every step introduce noise?

Today I stumbled into the magic Google key words and found Fotokemika Efke positive paper for sale at Freestyle.

So I ordered some, figuring that I try it in a pinhole camera; and maybe in a cut film holder to test in a 4x5 view camera.

I know it's waaay sloooooow.... compared to film.

Does anyone any experience with this paper? Or has this already been covered? (I'm new to this form).

tnx,

--del

Last edited:
There is no noise in silver-based photography, just grain. :spank:

The point of the negative is to be able to reproduce (print) the photo multiple times. However, I'm not sure what you mean by negative/negative and you may be talking about something I'm not thinking about.

That said, I have no experience with the type of paper this is. But I am interested in your (or anyone else's) results because it comes in 8x10 and I'm hoping to get a camara in that format.

Dang, didn't notice the date on this thread. And with only 4 messages, I imagine delogren is not around anymore.

Still, if anyone has experience with this paper, I'm interested in hearing your thoughts.

Dang, didn't notice the date on this thread. And with only 4 messages, I imagine delogren is not around anymore.

Still, if anyone has experience with this paper, I'm interested in hearing your thoughts.

Yeah, the original thread is moot, but I'll answer your question! :)

The Efke paper is out of production. The only direct positive paper that I know if that is still around is the Harman Direct Positive, and they actually just started producing it again after one of their emulsion ingredients became unavailable. They found another source/alternative and started production again just a couple of months ago.

It's a really fun thing to play with. I made myself a pinhole camera specifically for this paper (though it's got a 4x5 holder so I could use sheet film as well.) Here's an example:

Day 311 - Oil cans
by limrodrigues, on Flickr

I develop the prints in Caffenol, so they have a slight sepia tint to them, but using in traditional developers will result in a more black and white look. Also, I think the contrast is better if it's pre-flashed.

The advantage, of course, is there is no need to contact print (which is also a disadvantage if you want multiple prints from one negative). The slowness (ISO 3) can also be an advantage, especially in a pinhole, if you're going for super long exposures.

Weirdly enough, I responded to this old thread because I found this paper for sale here in Europe, in the 8x10 size. Yesterday, that is.

Today, I can't find it again. :BangHead:

However, I just found posts here and there talking about the company being kapoot. Too bad because it really seems to have been a very nice product/product line.

Thanks for your suggestion and the image which is very nice. I imagine the actual print is even better.

And I'm not worried about multiple prints if shooting 8x10. Enlargers for that format are hard to find and I think I'd rather go the way of the single print rather than making contact prints. And, let's be honest, it's not like people were ever breaking down my door trying to buy my work. :rolleyes-39:

Harman DP paper won't be in production for a couple more months yet, IIRC. Ilford had some issues with a supplier of certain chemicals and such.

There's also an upstart called Galaxy Paper.

Harman DP paper won't be in production for a couple more months yet, IIRC. Ilford had some issues with a supplier of certain chemicals and such.

There's also an upstart called Galaxy Paper.

According to this, they've started production: Ilford Brings Back Harman Direct Positive Fiber Paper for Pinhole Photography

And yeah, that's right - I forgot to mention the Galaxy Paper. Strictly speaking, it's not a direct positive paper, but rather a reversal process paper. They will be selling kits of the reversal chemicals, though theirs will not be the only ones that can be used. I've got myself a box of the 4x5 coming my way later this year :)

Some UK stores may still have some Harman DP paper on hand.

Some UK stores may still have some Harman DP paper on hand.

Yes, they might, but they should also have received new stock by now, and here in the US, we should be seeing new stock right about now or in the next couple of weeks. From Ilford's website: Welcome to ILFORD PHOTO

"Following an absence of over a year ILFORD PHOTO are pleased to announce that HARMAN DIRECT POSITIVE FB paper is now back in full production at the factory in Mobberley, England."

"Stock is expected to be available in the UK from early July, mainland Europe mid July, and in North America and the rest of the world from mid August."

Amazon.co.uk has it in stock: Harman Direct Positive Paper FB 4x5 25 Sheets Amazon.co.uk Camera Photo

B&H has the expected arrival date for 4x5 FB paper as August 25th, 2015: Ilford Harman Direct Positive Fiber Based FB Paper 1171158 B H

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm waiting for the new Harman stuff to hit the US stores. I'd like a box of 8x10 so I can cut it down to 3½x5 and use it it my Kodak 3A.

I've still got a few sheets of 4x5 but am excited to get more. Like I said, I have that 4x5 homemade pinhole, but I can also cut it down for my Baby Graphic. I did find sheet film in 2x3, but it might be fun to play with the paper, too.

I did see that July date for mainland Europe (I am in France) but I couldn't find any place having any for sale...

Then again, I'm still not very good at doing internet searches in French. Finding the right words or whatever still seems to be a problem :confused-55:

Ordering from the UK would be a possibility, lots cheaper than from the US, but I didn't see any there either. Maybe because of a language problem.

Anyway, gonna try a search in english. And also see what I can find out about this Galaxy Paper but can you guys explain the "reversal process paper" thing to me. The "direct positive paper" seemed like a fairly simple process and I liked that.

My darkroom experience is fairly standard: through the use of an enlarger, print an image onto paper from a negative. Since I'm a bit weird, I tried some weird things, but today, getting back into photography, I just feel like getting some prints the easiest way possible. If I could get my hands on the 20x24 (or whatever it was) Polaroid camera, and if there was still film for it, I would just love it.

:biglaugh:

:cheerful: and I've never even tried it! Have a pack that came in with other expired paper I use for lumen prints and haven't gotten to it (knowing there was no more at the time to be had I was kind of saving it).

So Leo and Sparky, how do you determine exposure time if you use it in an old camera? That's what I'd like to try, I have one in particular that is an odd film size not made anymore and I had seen it sold as part of a tintype kit. I'd just as soon use paper!

Harman DP is something like ISO 3.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back