found an old camera

PiMpPiStOl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/50245865/

wondering if thats still a good camera, andif anyone knows how to use it....i dont know how to get the film out. cuz im pretty sure all the film is used. i remember i use to play around with it alot when i was littler. and i found it again today, and since i just kinda got into photography, it might be a good camera...but im not sure! maybe someone can help? please?? i just need to knwo if its still a good camera for taking pics! thanks!!!!!!

awesome! how do i know what kind of film to buy for it though?

Film choice really depends on what you want to be shooting. If you're just figuring out the camera, and don't really know what you want, start with whatever is cheap.

The get the film out, by the way, there is a button you hold on the bottom of the camera while winding the black and metal knob labeled "R" in the direction of the arrow. After you feel the resistance drop, pull that knob straight up and the back will pop open.

That is a K1000, a really good first camera for many photographers out there. To get the film out, (looking at your photo.) flip up the silver lever of the right side dial and rewind the film. Do this slow, cause if you go fast you can actually create sparks in the canister. (You may have to push in a button, usually on the bottom of the camera to get it to let you rewind it.) Once you get it rewinded (sp?) Pull that lever up and the film door back should pop open. It's been a long time since I have handle a K1000, but if I remeber correctly, that should give you a good start at getting it reround and out of the camera. Good Luck!

Also, it's just a 35mm camera, so any 35mm film should work. I can't remeber if you have to manually set the ISO on a K1000 or not, but if you do (you'll see a dial with numbers like 50, 100, 200, 400, 800, etc. (NOT SHUTTER SPEED)) make sure that the ISO is set correctly.

Also, it's just a 35mm camera, so any 35mm film should work. I can't remeber if you have to manually set the ISO on a K1000 or not, but if you do (you'll see a dial with numbers like 50, 100, 200, 400, 800, etc. (NOT SHUTTER SPEED)) make sure that the ISO is set correctly.

Right, you do have to manually set the ISO on that camera. Just make sure that the rating of the film you end up using matches the number in the little window on the shutter speed dial labeled ASA.

If you do a search for Pentax K1000 manual, you can find the manual on the internet and it will tell you what everything on the camera does. It helped me with an old Pentax I found a few months back.

Also, Pentax never changed the mount it uses for it's SLR lenses, so if you any lenses other then what it's pictured with, you can take them with you if you decided to go digital later on, as long as you stay with a Pentax Digital SLR.

"Also, Pentax never changed the mount it uses for it's SLR lenses, so if you any lenses other then what it's pictured with, you can take them with you if you decided to go digital later on, as long as you stay with a Pentax Digital SLR."

so what do you mean? theres a certain kind of lense i have to have if i wanna change it?

What he's saying is that any lenses that mount to that camera will also mount to any newer film or digital bodies.

you can pick up manuals for those cameras for about 5 bucks on e-bay.
Really helpful.
Its a great camera :)

Once you get the back opened, turn the nob with all the numbers to b-for bulb, cock the shutter and press and hold the shutter release button and then take a flashlight and shine it through the lens (flashlight on one side of the lens and your eye on the other. you can do this with just the lens off the camera, but it's nice to know that the bulb setting works) and make sure that there is nothing on it that looks like dried up salt water or ice or whatever. If there is you'll need a new lens as this is how you check for fungus- a really bad thing and death to a lens for the most part. good luck mike

ok! thanks everybody! and thats Mitica100 for the manual!!

1 more thing though....i showed my mom the camera, and she told me se took it to jamaca and took some really good pictures, and when she got em developed on the ship, she was on a cruise, she didnt have any pictures on it...does the cam not work? or something wrong with the film? the ship messed it up? or what?? or are some possibilitys?

There's a whole world of possibilities... without more info it is all speculation.

* Let start by what do you mean by "didn't have any pictures on it?" Does this mean the whole roll was not exposed or over exposed or under exposed?
* does the shutter trip on the camera? it is mechanical so no battery is required
* was the film properly loaded?
* did the cruise ship properly develop the film?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back