Found an old lens that fits!

Machupicchu

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was diggin through my parents old film Rebel stuff and found a lens that fits my 50D. Its a Canon f/1.8 50mm mini macro with AF. Its probly 20 years old:lol:. Anyway, i have a brand new f/3.5 EF 28-135mm IS lens that came with my Camera, i was wondering what advantages, if any, this old lens would have over my newer lens. It claims to be macro but i can take better closeups with my 28-135.

Thanks for any help

Any Canon EF lens will work with any EOS camera.
That 50mm F1.8 is actually one of the most recommended lenses in the Canon system...reason being that it's rather affordable but also has pretty good glass. I'd guess that you have the older version of this lens...which is a good thing. The new version (EF 50mm F1.8 II) has a lot more plastic and is a little 'cheap'.
I'm not sure about the 'mini macro'....maybe this isn't the lens I'm thinking it is. :scratch:

The main advantage of the lens, is the large maximum aperture. F1.8 is a lot bigger than F3.5 and a whole lot bigger than F5.6...which is the maximum aperture range on your other lens. A larger aperture allows you to get a shallow DOF, but it also allows you to get faster shutter speeds, which can often mean sharper images because you won't have motion blur. Also, the 50mm, being a prime (non-zoom) lens, has a simple design, which means that you get very good image quality.

So good image quality and, im assuming, a very shallow DOF. Thats awesome considering i fount it:lol: im into macro so the faster shutter speeds might come in helpful. Also, i imagine this would be a good portrait lens? Sorry about the mini macro, it was in the wrong box, haha.

So good image quality and, im assuming, a very shallow DOF. Thats awesome considering i fount it:lol: im into macro so the faster shutter speeds might come in helpful. Also, i imagine this would be a good portrait lens? Sorry about the mini macro, it was in the wrong box, haha.

I went to the Canon Lens museum, and did not find any older 50mm f/1.8 with macro. So you may have the same lens I had.

Canon Camera Museum | Camera Hall - Lenses (EF Mount)

As mentioned by Bigmike, it is a great lens and it allow you to use a wider aperture. I will say it is a fun little lens to play with.

You can see what a wider aperture can do but experience with it.

i.e.

o Place an object on a table so that background is at least 10 feet away.

o Take a photo of the object with the 50mm lens mounted on the camera. Use Aperture Priority mode (Av) and set the aperture value to 1.8

o Position the camera to about the same level as the object and take a shot. (better do it in day time with some sun lights)

o Repeat the above steps, but this time, use the kit lens and set the focal length to 50mm and use the lowest aperture settings at that focal length.

o Compare the 2 shots and see if you notice any differences.

sweet .im glad i found it. ill try that for sure. i imagine 1.8 is super super shallow.

Most reactions

Back