Found grandfather's old camera and have LOTS of questions

Tomnomnom

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Photography and videography have always been a serious hobby of mine but I never had good equipment. I just recently decided to get a better camera than just the "point and shoot" style I have been using. So i've been looking around for a DSLR and then remembered that my grandfather had a camera with a decent lens. So I hunted around for it and found it in a closet.

Apparently, it's a Yashica FX-3 Super 2000. I've been looking around the web and found out it's a pretty decent camera. Opinions?

Also, it's paired with a Kalimar 35-135mm. I'm not too savvy when it comes to fully understanding the different mm ranges, but shouldn't this be a zoom lens? I try to zoom in but it only seems to zoom very, very minimally. Is this the way it should be or is it damaged? After all, it hasn't been used in about 10 years.

Last question: I've been looking around at DSLR's and have pretty much settled on the Canon 350D. Would this lens fit the 350D? It's a long shot, but saving $100 would be nice, especially if this is already a decent lens (since I heard the kit lens is very sub-par).

The FX was a very decent camera. Sorry to say but the Kalimar is a pretty mediocre performer. The 35-135mm is a zoom and you should be able to see quite a difference between the 35mm setting and the 135mm setting. It might be damaged internally.

In any case, no big loss and no gain either, the Kalimar won't fit the newer cameras, especially the DSLRs. If you have a DSLR you should at least look for a good lens or better yet an excellent lens. The Kalimar is neither.

Ugh.

Well, it's fine that I can't use the lens with a newer DSLR, but it's the only lens I have for the Yashica (the included one is lost forever). Would it be possible to have the lens repaired or would it be cheaper to just replace it? I understand that repair costs vary, but a ballpark estimate would be great (This coming from a kid on an EXTREMELY tight budget).

EDIT: Thanks for the response

It's a lot cheaper to get another lens.

CLICKY

As you can see, it's a Yashica lens which is much better than the Kalimar. And there are many others on eBay for sale.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back