Found My Old Flash

FYI, just came across this on Nikon's website.

"D-SLR's require a "tip positive" sync connection to an external strobe units. On some external strobe units the sync polarity is easy to change because they use the "household" type plug. If the strobes do not fire, simply turn the plug around and insert it with the male pin connectors in the other holes. Other types of connectors (such as the standard "phono" plug) are not generally changeable by the user.

Warning: Negative voltages or voltages over 250 V applied to the camera's sync terminal could not only prevent normal operation, but may damage the sync circuit of the camera or flash. Check with the strobe manufacturer for voltage specifications."

I've almost convinced myself that there are plenty of subjects out there to shoot without flash to risk blowing MY cameras up. I'll just use my wife's Nikon with built-in flash if I find it absolutely necessary to shoot a flash picture.

if you really don't use your flash as often, then I don't think it's worth buying a new one. but I think it is necessary to conduct a couple of tests to check how it works now in different conditions :)

I think the new flash was better, but if your flash was ok, u can use it

FWIW, I regularly used a Vivitar 283 on my Nikon F2A and F3 without issues with a measured trigger voltage of +300v both hotshot and sync cord.

The 283 is still a fairly popular flash. I own three of them and have begun to use use one for experiments in artificial-light gravestone photography. I have also begun to experiment with portrait photography using two or three of them. Late-model 283s have shoe voltages compataible with sensitive DSLRs. but mine don't - they are all original Japanese models. Although I use mine off-camera I do use them with wireless triggers which, like many DSLRs, cannot handle ~280 volts on the shoe. I have modified all three of mine to put 5 volts on the shoe.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back