Found out what it means to be "professional"

Am I the only one to find this post just a tad on the humorous side? Don't get me wrong I feel for the op in his situation I do. But once again we strongly cotradict ourselves here on TPF sometimes.

When it is convenient as like in this post, we scoff at the world for seeing a style of camera (in this case a DSLR / SLR) and associating it with the world of professional photography. And this is even though with model choice aside many of us use DSLR or SLR ourselves.

Most of us agree that the definition of a professional photographer has a lot less to do with his hardware and more to do with the knowlege he or she holds within. But on the other side of the coin we do tend to use cameras which allow us to use the most features in the easiest and most efficient way possible. Or in some cases the most basic features with the most ease. Part of that is the ability to change the lens.

So to me when someone says to me you can't use that camera because it is a professional camera I say it's good that they judge that way. Why? Because I still have my point and shoot. I still have my phone. And sad will be the day when they start saying. "I'm sorry sir, you can't take any photos in here because we think YOU might possibly be a professional photographer." "We are not sure maybe the way you hold that phone/camera. Or it might be your footing" "We just need to error on the safe side."

Sure that makes light of the situation a little bit. I mean no disregard. But wouldn't you rather them ban a type of camera rather then all cameras or even worse , photographers they think are professional?

I think Overread's first post put it very nicely and concisely.

The bigger the camera, the more professional juice they can fill it with.

EDIT: btw, Loki/Over ... some interesting perspectives. I wish I had time to respond intelligently to this. Will make for an interesting discussion in a couple days when I do. :) I hope someone else responds to it in an articulate way. :)

I just want to say that, generally, the definition of a "professional" is someone who does that to make a living. Your level of knowledge really doesn't have much of anything to do with whether or not you're a professional except in its ability to allow you to make money off of it. Case in point that I often refer to is amateur vs. professional astronomer -- most amateur astronomers actually own telescopes and know A LOT of general astronomy and know the night sky very well. But they don't make money off it. Most professional astronomers couldn't find Polaris, don't own telescopes, but have grants and make money by doing astronomy.

Just 'cause someone has a 30" telescope doesn't mean they're a professional astronomer, but they may be compensating for something else.

Rondal i'd take that security guards comment as a complement. even though he probably has no idea that quite a few amatuers have DSLR cameras now days and some of them are getting quite cheap. you never know he may have the title PPITA = Professional pain in the a$$ ;)

Another thing to bare in mind (and something that I felt more as I moved back home away from London) is that whilst far more people these days do go out and get a DSLR and big lenses - they are stil very much more of a minority in the public. This is a view which on forums is often lost as many new members are guided toward DSLRs for their versatility and other features, something that many are willing to make the jump to as they take photography more seriously than just happy snapping.

Its something to remember that DSLRs still draw attention and the association with them being used by expert photographers (anyone any good at it is bound to make money off it remember ;)) is still very strong in the public eye

whats even better was my bosses response as he was sitting beside me.

"take that as a compliment.....you've never been called professional by any of us"

gotta love people that bust your balls

bah high ISOs are not all they are cracked up to be..................................

possibly:confused:

I just got back from shooting an entire church and post church session on my D700 at ISO 1600-3200.

Flawless.

Last edited:
Forget black or white lenses, Why doesn't anyone make Blue lenses? Everyone knows that blue makes everything faster.

Forget black or white lenses, Why doesn't anyone make Blue lenses? Everyone knows that blue makes everything faster.

pfft. No. RED.

RED MAKES IT GO FFFFFFFFFFASTAHHHHHHH!!!

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!!!

I guarantee you no one will get that joke. :)

put a "Type R" sticker on it. Then you'll be super cool like all the idiots with hondas and big wings.

you can always glue a gold ring next to that red ring on your white lens. beat that. lol

Most reactions

Back