Framework issue with the Sony Alpha 300

Omitson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
(not sure if this is the correct subforum for this post, but there are so many and yet none seemed to fit, move this thread if need be)

My Sony Alpha 300 has an issue. I'm quite sure it is hardware related, since I set back all my settings to the factory default.

whenever I look trough my objective I see the frame of my picture. When I've shot this frame and I look at the actual photograph I took it differs from the frame I saw through my objective, before and while taking the photograph.

It differs because the bottom is 'sliced' off a little bit and is added at the top. Of course not literally, it didn't move the pixels that are supposed to be on the bottom to the top, but the frame has been moved 'upwards' as if I was aiming xx cm/m higher then I had displayed trough my objective.

My Sony Alpha 300 makes a 'rattling' sound whenever I turn it on. This has occurred during my last holiday. Might this be the problem causing the frame issue?

I reckon I'll bring my body and objective to a photoshop retailer tomorrow.

Hmm, are you sure its taking it from the bottom and adding at the top?

Most DSLRs have this thing where the viewfinder only sees about 95% of the actual image. The picture is a bit bigger then what you can see through the viewfinder.

If you're missing a bit from the bottom and there's more at the top though, there might be a problem with your camera.

Hmm, are you sure its taking it from the bottom and adding at the top?
Yes, I am sure.

Most DSLRs have this thing where the viewfinder only sees about 95% of the actual image. The picture is a bit bigger then what you can see through the viewfinder.
The sides are affected as well, as you mentioned happens with most DSLRs.

If you're missing a bit from the bottom and there's more at the top though, there might be a problem with your camera.
The cut off from the bottom and the adding to the top still occurs, yes.
I figured as much.

Your camera is malfunctioning and requires repair.

We are assuming when you say 'objective' you really mean 'viewfinder'.

The viewfinder is blocked by the mirror during an exposure, which is why the viewfinder goes black.

The rattleing sound is likely the in-the-body optical stabilization system, which I suspect is malfunctioning.

Your camera is malfunctioning and requires repair.

We are assuming when you say 'objective' you really mean 'viewfinder'.
I do. Excuse me for this misunderstanding. My knowledge of the photographical terminology is non existant, if limited at most.

The viewfinder is blocked by the mirror during an exposure, which is why the viewfinder goes black.
This is normal though, is it not?

The rattleing sound is likely the in-the-body optical stabilization system, which I suspect is malfunctioning.
I see. I'll mention this at the photography retailer. Thank you for your reply and seemingly fine information in it. It is appreciated.

/edit 27/11/2010
Brought back to retailer. All problems seem solved.

Last edited:
(not sure if this is the correct subforum for this post, but there are so many and yet none seemed to fit, move this thread if need be)

My Sony Alpha 300 has an issue. I'm quite sure it is hardware related, since I set back all my settings to the factory default.

whenever I look trough my objective I see the frame of my picture. When I've shot this frame and I look at the actual photograph I took it differs from the frame I saw through my objective, before and while taking the photograph.

It differs because the bottom is 'sliced' off a little bit and is added at the top. Of course not literally, it didn't move the pixels that are supposed to be on the bottom to the top, but the frame has been moved 'upwards' as if I was aiming xx cm/m higher then I had displayed trough my objective.

My Sony Alpha 300 makes a 'rattling' sound whenever I turn it on. This has occurred during my last holiday. Might this be the problem causing the frame issue?

Hi

I have the same problem in my Sony300.
Is it a serious problem or just the dislocation of the CCD.
What was the repair charge.

Thanks in advance

The only thing I can think of is that the mirror is not quite where it should be?????????

Hi

I have the same problem in my Sony300.
Is it a serious problem or just the dislocation of the CCD.
What was the repair charge.

Thanks in advance

I don't know exactly what the issue was, other then how I described it above.

I know they fixed it and I didn't have to pay anything because it was still within the one or two year warranty I had.

Did you ever find the solution to your problem? My Sony Alpha 300 is doing the exact same thing. It makes a rattling noise when I turn it on, and all of the pictures are off. I took it into a camera store nearby and they had no idea how to fix it. Sending it in to be repaired (even though they couldn't yet tell me the problem) would cost around $300. Anything you've found out about this problem would be greatly appreciated!!!

there is little doubt your camera is malfunctioning and needs to be repaired. It's to bad your Sony is apparently no longer in warranty.

It sounds like Sony has a design problem.

Most reactions

Back