Framing photos.

Markw

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.outsidetherainbow.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Is there something Im missing, or it is purely frame or matboard to hang display photos?

Mark

Is there something Im missing, or it is purely frame or matboard to hang display photos?

Mark

I think that's the jist of it. There's different type of framing as well. Currently, I'm looking for someone that prints on to masonite and frame large pictures.

I think there's a certain technique to matting a picture though.

I have a few pics that I've had mounted on foam core, might be called gator board I can't remember.

I am looking to get about 8 12x8 prints done to hang up and I didnt know about how to do this. We just had a photo show and I learned how to mat photos, so matting them is no problem. But what is the main difference between matboard and foamboard? I guess foamboard is foam, not matte? Pricewise, though?

Mark

I've only framed a few photos, but the thing that really seemed to drive up the prices was the glass and the matting. One of the pics that I was trying to frame was a panoramic and to get the custom frame, matte, and the glass it was ridiculous, but it was a lot more reasonable to do it on foam board.
Although with foam board that would be tough to do on your own, I believe they use some kind of vaccuum

I have done my own foam board you have to be careful not to apply to much spray adhesive because it will attack the foam and cause dents in the foam. when i bought my foam it was on sale for app 8.00 for a 4 x4 sheet in white and i think 17.00 for black.
I isn't to hard cut the board oversize and trim to fit
Troy

I am looking to get about 8 12x8 prints done to hang up and I didnt know about how to do this. We just had a photo show and I learned how to mat photos, so matting them is no problem. But what is the main difference between matboard and foamboard? I guess foamboard is foam, not matte? Pricewise, though?

Mark
What matting technique did you learn?

Mat board is thinner than foamboard. Both will warp over time. How quickly it happens depends on the enviornmental conditions where the piece hangs.

Mat board comes in differing grades that determine the boards suseptability to becoming acidic.

I prefer a hinged mat myself. I want the image to be able to float and not warp over time like a fully matted image usually does. Foamboard, Gatorboard, Standouts, Canvas are all available for my clients but I don't recommend them.

Then there is the question of how long you want the print to last. Over time all mat and board materials become acidic and begin to degrade the print. Museums routinely re-mount images to keep that from happening.

Obviously, if your image is glued to a piece of mat board, foamboard or Gatorboard you're screwed when the board gets acidic and starts eating the print.

Fine art prints usually have a minimum of one mat and as many as 4 which is then inside a frame.

Edit: Sorry! Wrong link........ that discusses some framing techniques.

See the next post. That's the web site I was referring to.

Last edited:
try this as well

Mounting Techniques for Matting and Framing Images

with my work and in my classes i use only archival museum standards for all backboards and windows.

foam core can be found within archival standards. it is soft and can be tricky to use.

you can also learn to cut your own windows, buying frames from various sources which will reduce the price greatly. Or, you can buy packs of pre-cut windows but the placement of the window will be determined for you, which you may or may not like.

framing is another "art form", but presentation can be critical.

check out light impressions for supplies, or american framing, or just google for archival mounting supples .

Most reactions

New Topics

Back