I am looking to get about 8 12x8 prints done to hang up and I didnt know about how to do this. We just had a photo show and I learned how to mat photos, so matting them is no problem. But what is the main difference between matboard and foamboard? I guess foamboard is foam, not matte? Pricewise, though?
Mark
What matting technique did you learn?
Mat board is thinner than foamboard. Both will warp over time. How quickly it happens depends on the enviornmental conditions where the piece hangs.
Mat board comes in differing grades that determine the boards suseptability to becoming acidic.
I prefer a hinged mat myself. I want the image to be able to float and not warp over time like a fully matted image usually does. Foamboard, Gatorboard, Standouts, Canvas are all available for my clients but I don't recommend them.
Then there is the question of how long you want the print to last. Over time all mat and board materials become acidic and begin to degrade the print. Museums routinely re-mount images to keep that from happening.
Obviously, if your image is glued to a piece of mat board, foamboard or Gatorboard you're screwed when the board gets acidic and starts eating the print.
Fine art prints usually have a minimum of one mat and as many as 4 which is then inside a frame.
Edit: Sorry! Wrong link........ that discusses some framing techniques.
See the next post. That's the web site I was referring to.