TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.deadeyestudio.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
softbox..
Ok so I finally got a shoe cord to get that flash off the camera and played around with it a bit and was quite happy the difference a foot or two made. Then proceeded to make a little soft box for it ( goal to buy nothing ) I used a one gallon metal sample can ( paint thinner type), masking tape , paper towel, and rubber bands .
I cut the top and bottom out with a can opener then bent in the sides on one end a little at a time till it was formed in correct shape. Taped the end some and applied paper with rubber bands. Here are the results.
softbox1.jpg

softbox2.jpg

softbox3.jpg

4.No flash
softbox4.jpg

5.Bare flash
softbox5.jpg

6.Home Made Soft Box.
softbox6.jpg

Oh i can't wait for you to take that outside and after 1 day having to post something in the "Funny things people say to you" thread in photo discussions forum. :lol:

Good to see someone else here is into DIY lighting. I've been thinking of starting a company myself called ghetto photography. My studio softbox cost me $100, that's $100 for a pair of shoes, throw away the shoes and keep the box. :D

Why a metal box?...too heavy to fix or handle I would think. No?

Why a metal box?...too heavy to fix or handle I would think. No?

Actually its lighter than cardboard and the inside is already reflective so no need for tinfoil also when you bend in one end and squash it down it makes a > < shape on the inside further bouncing the light around. The sample can I used is very thin and light, paint thinner cans might be a little heavier. Actually I was looking through the Afterpeek (Storage area of ship) for a cardboard box to make it from when I found the shelf full of new sample cans and thought that will work real good. If you wrap the whole thing in paper it looks good on the flash.

Most reactions

Back