Friendly Badger - unless you're a mouse

fishing4sanity

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My son was out checking irrigation water and called and told me he was watching a badger hunt. I grabbed my camera and headed out there, expecting that it would have wandered off before I got there. The badger was still sniffing around for mice and didn't seem to mind our presence. So we kept getting a little closer. I've always been impressed with the tough attitude of badgers. I had one run across a dirt road and into a hole, I stopped and growled just to see if he'd do anything, he popped right back out snarling and ready to fight the pickup. I also came across a female with kits one summer, with no hole to get to nearby, she stood her ground while the kits ran off, I gave her plenty of space and just enjoyed one of the best snarling-growling fits I've ever heard. The badger today seemed very calm, it did puff up and start blowing when I got too close, but for the most part it just concentrated on the mice. Pretty neat encounter.
DSC_6202-1.jpg

DSC_6217-1.jpg

DSC_6180-1.jpg

DSC_6154-1.jpg

Nice pictures!

My son was out checking irrigation water and called and told me he was watching a badger hunt. I grabbed my camera and headed out there, expecting that it would have wandered off before I got there. The badger was still sniffing around for mice and didn't seem to mind our presence. So we kept getting a little closer. I've always been impressed with the tough attitude of badgers. I had one run across a dirt road and into a hole, I stopped and growled just to see if he'd do anything, he popped right back out snarling and ready to fight the pickup. I also came across a female with kits one summer, with no hole to get to nearby, she stood her ground while the kits ran off, I gave her plenty of space and just enjoyed one of the best snarling-growling fits I've ever heard. The badger today seemed very calm, it did puff up and start blowing when I got too close, but for the most part it just concentrated on the mice. Pretty neat encounter.
View attachment 193161
View attachment 193162
View attachment 193163
View attachment 193164
Great set!

I have spent a fair time afield... I have seen bear, elk, deer, cougar, bobcat, fox, Beaver, nutria, coyote, but I have never seen a badger! What a great shooting opportunuty!

I have spent a fair time afield... I have seen bear, elk, deer, cougar, bobcat, fox, beaver, otter, weasel, seal, harbor seal, porpoise, orca, sea lion, nutria, coyote, but I have never seen a badger! What a great shooting opportunuty!

wow love this little guy.. beautiful set of photos...

Most reactions

Back