Friends Tattoos

Boxhousev

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My friend asked me to photograph her back tattoo. Let me know your thoughts.

tattobeforeandafter.jpg

NikiTrittphotosunedited011.jpg

I hate to sound rude, but... bin 'em! This needs to be shot; I'm not a tattoo fan, but there's awesome potential here. I really think with the smallest effort you could have found a better location than leaning against a wall in front of the kitchen sink! Your subject is obviously a more Rubenesque lady, and that should be considered in the choice of pose, as should the tattoo itself. I would start with her standing straight up; against something is fine, but NOT leaning! The position yourself so that the camera angle is about 15-20 degrees off angle, then get some lighting in the situation so that her skin looks like skin.

As a hot blooded male, I have difficulty critiquing any photo of a half naked woman, but his definitely falls short. I agree the background is incredibly distracting, it would be much better if she were lying on a bed. And the lighting is quite bad, and the saturation and color are off.

Yeah I didn't really intend on taking this kind of pic. I never have, so background not ideal. Thanks for the feedback, I'll play around.

There is definitely potential here and I second the suggestion for a reshoot with a better location. I think you did well with what you had to work with on this (I assume) impromptu shoot.

- I actually like the pose. The lean and the tilt to her hips create some nice contours to her body, more interesting than just standing up straight. The pose does create a roll on her left side (probably unavoidable with anything but the most upright pose, as she's not the most svelte model), but this roll is fairly well hidden by the shadow from her arm and the amount of ink in that area.

- I like your composition. As mentioned, she is not small, and you are pretty committed to shooting her back square on for the sake of the tattoo. By crossing her legs and cropping where you did you've minimized any fleshy feeling from her thighs.

- She is very tan, which reduces the contrast between her skin and the ink. I think you've done a solid job of getting much of that contrast back, though I would still like to see the tattoo have more contrast. I would suggest trying a mask over the tattoo area and playing with contrast / sharpening to get that pop.

- If you reshoot, I would suggest waiting until her summer tan has faded substaintially (assuming she doesn't fake tan year round). And while the cut of her underwear works well with her frame and for revealing the tattoo, I don't feel that animal print undies really work with the religious imagery of the tattoo. Perhaps some low-riding jeans - they wouldn't cover the tat and could still be sexy (if that's the intended look) without feeling out of place against the tat (and may give you more versatility in how much leg you can show while still slenderizing her legs).

There are some dirty dishes in your sink.

This isn't going to sound great, but I think she'd look better nude. Crap carefully, or drape a piece of fabric tastefully. No elastic.

Get in closer, it's all about the tat, right? Lie her down on something white and fluffy looking. Have her tense up, twist a little this way and that, get up on her elbows, try stuff out. I don't know much about posing, but I know that if you haven't got pretty much all your muscles engaged, you're doing it wrong. Stand over her, and shoot straight down.

I just meant I don't feel I am experienced enough to begin boudoir. I think it would be best for me to learn how to take good pictures of people with clothes on, then learn how to shot them without. LOL I was just very pleased with my results, for being an amature, and was looking for the feedback I have received to get better. I appreciate it. :)

ps...I was there to do an outdoor shoot with her and some friends. This was a impromptu request. That's why I said I didn't intend on taking pictures of someone half nude.

Clothes are very problematic, it's actually a lot easier to take good pictures of people with their clothes OFF. Obviously a lot more awkwardness and social strangeness and so on, but from a purely photographic perspective, it's easier ;)

I like this photo. It's sexy and indignant. And the hated kitchen sink adds an interesting bit of drama, I think. It's like she's saying, "Screw housework. I have deeper matters on my mind and better ways to spend my time." Hehe..

The pose works well. It shows off your friend's pretty body very nicely. I have no idea about the tattoos; they appear religious and I'm not into that. The skin lightening and overall brightening do not work well. I would have kept her skin that pretty, more natural colour, as in the original photo, but added some reflected light or fill flash to better expose her back. Her carefree and sexy pose and the implied attitude hold my attention well. So, I'd re-shoot this, perhaps with a different background or perhaps not, but certainly with better light.

Last edited:
She had tattoos? I didnt get past the zebra draws!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back