Friends wife failure = my gain?

SrBiscuit

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
so i guess the title seems a bit harsh but....
my buddy's wife took a crack at starting a kids photo business...it;s didnt work out, and she's left with some equipment that she might be interested in dumping.

ive had her SB-600 for almost a month now, and im in LOVE with it, so i def want to buy that.
lastnight my buddy told me that they also have the nikkor 18-70 that came with the D70...and they could sell me boththe lens and the flash as a little package deal.

i have the D40 with 2 kit lenses, but the 18-70 seems a little faster, and offers a bit more range on one lens...
i dont have a price yet, but if it's a decent deal...do i go ahead and buy the lens too?...is it enough of an imporvement over my kit 18-55 that it will be worth it?...do i keep both, or try to offload the 18-55 (probably wont get much for it)?

my instinct is to snatch up the lens too...can't ever have too much glass right?...maybe use the 18-55 as a backup incase something happens to the 18-70?...

ive done a bit of research and am seeing mixed reviews of the 18-70 so i would live some guidance.

thanks! :mrgreen:

Unless you get a really good deal on the lens, I wouldn't bother. It may be an improvement over your 18-55mm but not by a whole lot. I'd suggest spending your money on a faster lens instead...like the Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 or the Sigma 18-50mm F2.8

thanks mike...yeah ill wait for a price to make my decision...
id really like the sigma 10-20 but thats not cheap for me right now :D

id really like the sigma 10-20 but thats not cheap for me right now :D

I'm right there with ya!

I've quickly found that lenses are like kitchen appliances:

They are either affordable and nothing more than utilitarian, like your standard stovetop/oven combo, OR they are very expensive, top quality, and do everything but wipe your behind(see: Viking or wolf gas stovetops, or Sub Zero Refrigerators).

There are really no "tweeners."

For example: Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 $150 +/- (Kenmore)
Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 $1700 +/- (SubZero)

The only GOOD lens I've found that is "affordable to the masses" is the Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 at $100 +/- (However, if you want that extra .4 of aperture, you are looking at another $300 :banghead:)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back