Frog Fish, Top View, 33 Ft Level, Kona, HI

sabbath999

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
fftop.jpg

He bolted before I could get back around to get his face, so all I have is this "Safety Shot". There was quite a bit of surge, and it took me a couple of minutes to work my way back around and down the 4 or 5 feet it took to get to where I could take a face on shot.

Tricky stuff.

Frog fish pretend to be coral and shoot out really quickly to grab their prey. The greenish yellow blob in the middle is the fish. The head is to the right, the fins are holding on to the coral and the squiggly thing to the left is his tail.

fftop.jpg

He bolted before I could get back around to get his face, so all I have is this "Safety Shot". There was quite a bit of surge, and it took me a couple of minutes to work my way back around and down the 4 or 5 feet it took to get to where I could take a face on shot.

Tricky stuff.

Frog fish pretend to be coral and shoot out really quickly to grab their prey. The greenish yellow blob in the middle is the fish. The head is to the right, the fins are holding on to the coral and the squiggly thing to the left is his tail.

i don't know kenneth ........ looks like the wrong flash for the depth that your at. the colors just don't look right to me, the composition is all off, the angle on the fish is just wrong..... i don't ..... somthing just isn't right ...... it looks like ..... well ... "poop".
maybe next time kenneth.

i don't know kenneth ........ looks like the wrong flash for the depth that your at. the colors just don't look right to me, the composition is all off, the angle on the fish is just wrong..... i don't ..... somthing just isn't right ...... it looks like ..... well ... "poop".
maybe next time kenneth.

:roll: :roll: :roll:
Oh my............ :roll:

When do we get to see your own underwater photography, Bradsperry, so we can call what we see "poop"?

maybe next time kenneth.

Wrong flash for the depth I was at :) That's a good one, considering I was using a point & shoot using only an internal flash.

However, you are wrong on one thing... THIS looks like POOP... because that's what it is, fish poop at 112 feet below sea level. I converted it to black & white so you can see the details better, color is pretty much gone anyway at 112 feet down.

Now THIS is an underwater picture that looks like crap!

poop.jpg

That's about the only picture you will ever see from me at 110+ below sea level.

That is at the extreme range of recreational diving. Without going into details, once you get below 100 feet on oxygen, your non-decompression diving time and your air available is extremely limited. When I took this shot, I had been down about 5 minutes... my no-decompression limit was only 8 minutes from when I took the shot, and my available air was dropping rapidly. I was diving on a high pressure aluminum 80 cylinder, and had about 12 minutes worth of air left at that depth (every 30 feet in depth doubles the amount of air you use, so I was using about 4 times the amount of air I would be using on the surface)...

Also, when you dive on air (21 percent oxygen like we have here on the surface), at 100+ feet you start suffering the effects of nitrogen narcosis... you may have heard that called the "rapture of the deep." It is like being buzzed on alcohol, and while that may sound fun to non-divers (and indeed some divers actually love to get "narked") it is can be extremely dangerous. Each person is different on how narcosis affects them, with me it takes me about twice as long to do mental tasks as it does only 30 feet higher... which actually is about normal...

When you are taking pictures while diving, you are "task loaded"... you have to monitor your own air pressure levels, your air buddy's pressure levels and mental conditions, your trim (i.e. making sure you are horizontal so you are not damaging the reef or your gear), the current and/or surge that is going on, your non-decompression time remaining, and on top of all that you have to do all the photography stuff like focus, composition, lighting and exposure in a camera entirely encased in plastic... while maintaining buoyancy floating just a foot or so away from your subject...

At depth, when hit by nitrogen narcosis, it gets tricky.

Screwing up while diving at 110 feet doesn't mean you get a bad picture, it means you end up with a bad case of the bends, an air embolism or you die.

Most of my shots are taken in the top 50 feet of the water column, not only because most of the corals and fish are better there... and not only because the seawater hasn't filtered out all of the colors except blue like it has when deeper, but also because it is much safer for me and for my buddy.

Yes, you can still screw up and die at 50 feet down, but at least the risk is a bit more manageable.

I've been looking at all your fish pictures today. Wonderful stuff you're showing us.

I find it funny though how someone has gotten such a hard on for you since yesterday. Not funny "haha", but funny "what an annoying tool". BTW, thanks for keeping the bandwidth for us. :lol:

Most reactions

Back