From auto to manual mode in 5 steps

Ricardo Martinez

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello guys, for any of you considering making the transition from auto mode to manual mode I have a new post on my blog that describes how I did it in 5 steps.

link: <Link removed by moderator>

Check it out and share it with anyone who might need it.

Thank you
Rick

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought there is one step. What are the five steps?

Please post it on here so we don't have to click offsite.

1. Auto=Auto(matic mode).
2. Turn mode dial to P(rogram mode).
3. Turn mode dial to S(hutter priority mode).
4. Turn mode dial to A(perture priority mode).
5. Turn mode dial to M(anual).

Whoa! I counted the steps turning the dial in the opposite direction takes 6 steps!

1. Auto=Auto(matic mode).
2. Turn mode dial to P(rogram mode).
3. Turn mode dial to S(hutter priority mode).
4. Turn mode dial to A(perture priority mode).
5. Turn mode dial to M(anual).

I agree with sparky................:)

Whoa! I counted the steps turning the dial in the opposite direction takes 6 steps!

At least you had a laugh!

At least you had a laugh!
I am curious as to what you wrote. Please post the 5 steps.

I have a small blog (5 post to be exact) for beginning photographers. My intention was to explain what I did and it what order. I first suggest to do look up for the concept of the exposure triangle. Second to pick out the pictures taken in auto mode which ones they like most and to take note of the ISO, aperture and SS. Third to try and recreate the pictures from the second step in aperture priority and/or shutter priority. Fourth to recreate the pictures in complete manual mode and fifth to change individual settings (aperture, SS or ISO) to get a different look for example more or less depth of field or a brighter looking image, etc.

I go on to explain that I don't think that shooting in manual mode makes you a better photogrpaher it just gives more flexiblity in the creative process and that most of the time composition is more important. That's the way I did it and it might not be the best way to do it but it made it fun and less of a task, at least for me.

Am I the only one that finds it sketchy when a new member comes on and tries to "Teach" people something in a link while at the same time blocking me from seeing their forum profile?

Really not a good way to instill trust in the very people you're trying to get to click on your blog.

Am I the only one that finds it sketchy when a new member comes on and tries to "Teach" people something in a link while at the same time blocking me from seeing their forum profile?

Really not a good way to instill trust in the very people you're trying to get to click on your blog.

Yeah right! Think whatever you want.

It always happens when you are new in place, not only in forums. Some of the oldest members try to find “sketchy” something where there really is none. And if you read the post my intention was not to “teach” is just to explain how I did it.

I think I’m getting old for this s#%*. Because some other time I wouldn’t even bother answering.

I’m here to help those that want to be helped.

I was stating how it looked to me.

I didn't attack you or anything of that nature. I just pointed out my perception.

Chill out.

I was stating how it looked to me.

I didn't attack you or anything of that nature. I just pointed out my perception.

Chill out.

HAHA! Exactly the response I was specting. Once again typical of one who has been caught with his foot in his mouth. And now you dare and tell me how I should react. As a matter of fact I couldn't be more "chill". Don't worry about me I'll be fine dude.

Most reactions

Back