From Nikon D60 to?? Amateur who could use some advice!

ShihTzuMama

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello,

I read another thread in this forum where someone asked what would be a great upgrade to a D60. I believe someone told her the D5100 and above.

Unfortunately, I think I might have made a mistake. I have been using the D60 for 5 years. I do not consider myself a professional, but an amateur/hobbyist. I began to feel like my camera was becoming outdated, especially with all of the 24 MP cameras coming out. I am not necessarily looking for an upgrade, just a lateral change with the updated technology.

Here's where I think I made my mistake: I purchased the Nikon D3200 bundle from Costco on Saturday. I didn't realize how important the size of the sensor was as far as lighting was concerned until after I tried it out and saw that all of my photos were dark (apparently the D60's sensor is larger than the D3200's). I always shoot in aperture (remember, I am a beginner with no formal training) but will also shoot a few photos in auto mode as a backup in case my settings aren't adequate. Today, I used the D3200 for the first time. It was a sunny morning at 9 a.m, OUTDOORS. The photos that I shot in auto were all very, very dark. Ridiculously dark. They never would have looked this way on my D60. The photos that I shot in aperture were different, too. I used to be able to shoot using 100 ISO outside (many times without a flash) but in order to achieve the same effect, I was having to shoot in 200 ISO and (get this) 400 ISO WITH a flash. With my D60, these photos would have been WAY over-exposed but with this camera, I was getting just enough light.

Another complaint I have is that while the LCD is beautiful, it misrepresents the brightness of the photos. While they looked great on the camera, they looked incredibly dark on my computer (same computer I have used for 5 years). I thought maybe I was nuts but I Googled this and found that others were experiencing the same problem.

Since I am a camera idiot, can someone tell me if I just down-graded my camera? Did I make a lateral change? Is this camera crappy or do I just need to get used to the way it takes photos? I want to be able to take this with me on vacations and enjoy it rather than working/guessing really hard for just the right picture every time I take one.

I am considering returning it and getting the D5200 bundle at Costco before the rebate ends in a few days, but I am not sure if I want to spend another $200. I know that is only a drop in the bucket to you professionals but I am on a budget! I am considering just keeping my D60. :(

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

The D60 and the D3200 use the same size image sensor, Nikon's APS-C size image sensor.

Actually the D3200 image sensor (23.2 mm x 15.4 mm) is a tab bit smaller than the D60 image sensor (23.6 mm x 15.8 mm).

A notable difference is the D60 image sensor is a CCD, while the D3200 image sensor is CMOS.
Both cameras use the same 420 segment RGB exposure metering sensor.
The D3200 has a better auto focus module than the D60.

You need to get used to the way the D3200 takes photos.
You may have inadvertently set some minus Exposure Compensation on the D3200.

Last edited:
The D60 *is* pretty outdated. The D60 was the entry-level Nikon from a few years back. It was supplanted by the D3000, then the D3100, and now the D3200.

As KmH mentioned, if all of your pictures are "coming out dark" with the D3200, there's a good chance that you've got the camera set or set-up kinda' funny, kinda' off-kilter. Accidentally setting minus exposure compensation is something that is VERY easy to do with the so-called one-button cameras...I have used the Nikon D40, which is a one-button Nikon, and have myself accidentally dialed in minus exposure compensation on more occasions than I would care to admit. So...yeah...something's amiss.

I have 2 friends with Nikon D3200 and they are VERY happy with their cameras, I have seen pictures these cameras took at night and I was very impressed by the low light performance of these cameras.
Not sure what happened with you camera, was it a user mistake or maybe something is wrong with your camera but it shouldn't need to shoot at 200ISO at a full day light day.

Should you upgrade to the D5200 ?
Well to be honest it has the same senosr as my D7100 and has roughly same low light performance and same image quality as my D7100 and I ADORE my camera, its IQ and low light performance are just amazing so I personally would get the D5200 over the D3200 but the D3200 is also a very good camera.

KmH,

This was really helpful, thank you! Like I said, I am a complete novice so I didn't even know that I could set minus exposure compensation (though I am not surprised that I can). I am going to do some Googling to see if I can figure out whether or not I have done this and how I can go about changing it. Thank you so much for your help!

Derrel,

I really appreciate your response. If it isn't too much to ask (and it isn't too much work) would you mind telling me how to go about fixing this? I will also see if I can find this information online. I don't mean to make everyone do my homework for me!

Wow, this forum is really supportive. I am glad I joined. Thank you!

Goodguy,

After reading the responses here, I am thinking that this is definitely the case! I bought my camera in the Costco bundle. When I brought it home, the battery was missing (weird) so I brought it back and exchanged it for a new box the same day. When I got home and opened the new box, I found that the memory card was missing. I am sort of suspecting that something fishy is going on at that particular warehouse. Maybe someone is messing with the cameras and contents of these boxes? I am going to see if I have accidentally messed with the settings. If things don't get better, I may be in for another exchange!

I'd really like to keep this camera if I can... I'd rather not spend the extra money right now. We'll see what happens I guess!

I wanted to also mention something. You wrote, "Another complaint I have is that while the LCD is beautiful, it misrepresents the brightness of the photos. While they looked great on the camera, they looked incredibly dark on my computer (same computer I have used for 5 years). I thought maybe I was nuts but I Googled this and found that others were experiencing the same problem."

Mmmmkay....now, this can be a clue of some value. If the LCD's brightness control setting is set really high, the photos will look good on the camera's LCD on images shot with accidental minus exposure compensation. THEN, later, when the same images are brought into the computer, the minus exposure compensation will reveal itself...as very dark images.

The histogram is the way to tell if images are exposed properly, but many beginners (and more-advanced workers too!) often use the image as seen on the camera's LCD screen as a way to evaluate exposure being either correct, or "under" or "over". The fact that you said the images looked GOOD on the camera, but wayyyy too dark on the computer is what makes me suspect accidental minus exposure compensation has been dialed in and left on.

Derrel,

I think you hit the nail on the head - I think I just don't know how to use the features of my camera!

I Googled the exposure compensation button (which I found to be embarrassingly simple). I just set it to a neutral 0 so that I can go from there. Of course, this would probably explain why I am having to set such a high ISO.

You are right; I do use the LCD screen to tell me whether my pictures are properly lit. It sounds like I am going to need to learn how to use a histogram as well as figure out how to turn down the LCD's brightness.

You're a lifesaver, thank you!! :)

Yes, the need for extra ISO boost, the camera vs computer brightness disparity...and your self-described statement , "Since I am a camera idiot", as well as my familiarity with the one-button Nikon and accidental exposure comp being dialed in...and years of internet forum trouble-shooting...yeah...

Thanks for the kind words, and have a great time with the D3200. You now own a high-resolution d-slr. The D3200 may be a small camera, but it has a twenty-four megapixel sensor!!! If used with good, solid technique (adequate shutter speed, proper focusing, good lenses) it is a camera capable of very high quality image results. Enjoy it!

It is my understanding the D3200 user's manual is a PDF file on the software disc that comes with the camera, and there is no hard copy of the user's manual.

If you go to the user's manual Index on page 207 you can see that Exposure Compensation is discussed on page 63.

Derrel,

I just took my camera outside and took several photos of the same thing using the different exposure compensation settings (excuse my lack of professional jargon). BINGO! Problem solved. I feel like I have my familiar old camera back with the benefit of the new updates!

I should also add that I looked into the LCD screen issue. Mine was set at 0. I compared it to my D60, which is also set at 0 and the D3200 is much brighter. I turned the D3200 down to a -1, which is the closest I could get to the D60's 0. I can now see that the pictures were darker than my screen was showing. Of course, like you said, I need to learn to read a histogram ASAP, but the screen is a bit more realistic now. I LOVE the brightness, but I also prefer to be comfortable. I don't sound very ambitious, do I?

This all helped me very much and I hope it helps anyone in the future with the same issues! Thanks, everyone!

Over time, the screens got brighter because people complained they couldnt see them in bright sunlight.

Other companies *cough*Can*couhg*on*cough* also put anti-reflection stuff on their screens, which makes them easier to read as well.

Histograms are btw really very, very easy to read. You can also enable blinking modes on many cameras (dunno if its available on the D3200 though) that will point out areas that are overexposed (all pixel values maxed) or underexposed (all pixel values at zero). On my D5100 and D600, this is called "Highlight".

Most reactions

Back