From the Count's Castle

Mitica100

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well... Thing is I'm growing fangs! We've been stationed here at Bran, near Dracula's Castle and we're already 'casteled-out'. So many castles, we visited two in the first day, one the next and today another citadel, the city of Sighisoara. Will give more details when back.

All in all, we're surviving Romania so far. Drivers are crazy here, we also ran into a huge storm with hail, passing through villages, almost deserted and dilapidated (sp?).

Had some photo ops, mainly street photography shot from the waist. I hope they turn out (remember I'm a film guy).

Well... time's short here at the Internet Cafe.

Until next time, la revedere...;)

get some of those castles too huh..... i love castles..... sounds like a great trip :thumbup:

I'm so glad you checked in! It sounds like fun so far - hailstorms notwithstanding. :lol:

I can't wait to see the pics. Castles, deserted villages, street photography - sounds like a total blast.

Have fun! :D

That makes me wonder, if you took a picture of a vampire, would the image show up on film........or is it just mirror's that they don't show on ?

He he... Should've thought of that and taken some pics of mirrors. Then again, I've had too much garlic (mmm...) so the vamps went away.:lol:

Anyway, back in Bucharest now, I took a stroll with my brother around the house where Ceausescu (ill famed Romanian dictator) lived. Interesting, never had the chance to see it before. Tomorrow we are beinbg given a private tour of the House of the People, supposedly the second largest building in the world after the Pentagon, and try to do a panoramic picture of Bucharest. Lots of stitching in PS I guess...

Today, before coming back to Bucharest we visited the Princely Court where the infamous Count Dracula ruled in the early to mid 1400s. It's mostly in ruins save for a watch tower. Pretty creepy...

Now that I have access to Internet from home I'll sign in more often.

As we say in Romanian, La revedere.

I'm glad you're having such a good time Dimitri. Can't wait to see all the pictures and hear the stories of your trip. :D

Well, hyappy to report that the visit this morning was ok, just not as exciting as I expected. Yeah, the buidling is a big momma, 3,707 rooms and with a handwoven persian rug the size of a football field, 24K gold ornaments on the walls, real marble, huge crystal portals and doors. We stood on the same balcony where a few good years ago Michael Jackson said "Hello Romania! Glad to be in Budapest!!" It's a total waste of money IMHO, they could've fed the poor people instead of sensless building!

I'll post a few snapshots upon coming back.

Tomorrow's a visit to the Dracula's tomb, a little monastery on an island, all on a lake near Bucharest named Snagov. I hear we need to do the paddling... :roll:

Ahh... Nothing like seeing the Count's real tomb, on an isle in the middle of the Snagov Lake. We drove there then took a private boat. Posted there is the cell phone of the Monastery, call and they come and pick you up, for a fee. Traversed the lake and saw this old, old church still standing next to a small bell tower. A young priest, which is an aide to the real Monastery keeper (and a very moody keeper mind yo) explained to us quite a lot about Dracula's tomb. Legend has it that the body was entombed there without its head, which was actually thrown into the Snagov Lake. Other legend yet says that only the head was burried there. I read somewhere else that there were excavations done adn all they found were animal bones. Yet, the last explanation given by the young priest was that the entire body is actually buried there and that Hitler himself ordered (in the early 1940s) an excavation to be done. Seems that they found some artifacts belonging to Vlad's head gear, just like the ones depicted in all of his portraits from that time. These artifacts are now locked up in a National Archives room. Hmm... Can it get more confusing?

We're back in one piece, but we're m-e-l-t-i-n-g away! It's so friggin' hot and humid! I won't ever b**ch about the heat in Arizona, at least it's d-r-y!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOu are sooo lucky. I would give anything to vists Dracs tomb. Ya must post pics.:D

Chiller said:
YOu are sooo lucky. I would give anything to vists Dracs tomb. Ya must post pics.:D

I wish I could post some pics but they wanted a fee of 20 Euros only to use the cameras inside the church!!! So I didn't shoot any. However, my wife shot one with her dig. camera waist held, no flash and long exposure while the young priest was about 12 feet behind. I had to cough twice, loudly, to cover the friggin' beeping noise the camera makes when it acquires focus and when it shoots. The priest looked funny at me, I guess he thought I was taking the picture but I had no camera in my hands and decided to leave it alone. The picture my wife took is, well, a long exposure with no flash, moved and unsharp. Maybe I'll post it just for the heck of it. :lol:

If you ever want to visit Drac's tomb, talk to me and I'll tell you how to go and what to do. It's not very well marked and you have to be prepared with all these Draculas on the roads (Romanian drivers). :lol:

Tomorrow's packing day. My brother brought me two quarts of plum brandy, which he makes home from fermented plums, its about 150 proof (75% alcohol) and honestly, I don't know if I can take them with me. What if they stop me at the Customs? I don't think I can bring booze into the US, can I? Anyone has experience with that?

I do miss being home although I will miss the best tastting fruits and veggies, especially the watermelons! Best I've ever had.

Can't wait to get home and develop the BW films I shot!... :D

Wow..still must have been quiet the experience to see something like that. What a shame about the photography. Good cover up tho with the coughing.:lol:

Home! Home sweet home! We're back after a very long flight, about 22 hours and two plane changes. We're still missing two suitcases, the s**theads in DC put them on a plane for San Francisco instead of Phoenix. But they say they'll deliver them today at home. Hope so!...

Most reactions

Back