From the play "Descamisadas, una gesta"

oskiper

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone!

These shots are from a play called "Descamisadas, una gesta". A play that recreates the times when Argentina was adopting women votes as they had no right to vote for a president until September 1947 when former president Perón signed a decrete to give all women the right to vote.

In the first photo you can see basically the three positions on that time, in focus you have a woman in doubt whether to go to vote or not as voting was a "man thing" back then. Right behind her you have the second position of a woman declaring why she has the same rights as a man and in the back we can see a man just staring and almost laughing at the fact.

25775013420_4cc45300be_z.jpg

Descamisadas 2

On the second photo we can see the three points of view represented in these three women debating if they should vote or not and a man in the background listening representing the political power of that time that was in opposition to Perón`s idea to let women vote.

25445310663_efb0418abc_z.jpg

Descamisadas 1

Descamisadas 2 I think I prefer of these two. I tried a tighter crop of it which to my eye improves it but I'm unable to upload that directly. Perhaps your standing position is sometimes lower than is ideal; i guess you can't always change that.

Something you might try with metering these shots: set your exposure compensation to -2, use spot meter, and meter for the darkest shadows you wish to have detail. This is using the spot meter as a 'zone III' meter. If you want to push for the maximum from a raw capture you could use minus 1&1/3 instead of -2, and reduce the capture exposure in the raw convertion.

Descamisadas 2 I think I prefer of these two. I tried a tighter crop of it which to my eye improves it but I'm unable to upload that directly. Perhaps your standing position is sometimes lower than is ideal; i guess you can't always change that.

Something you might try with metering these shots: set your exposure compensation to -2, use spot meter, and meter for the darkest shadows you wish to have detail. This is using the spot meter as a 'zone III' meter. If you want to push for the maximum from a raw capture you could use minus 1&1/3 instead of -2, and reduce the capture exposure in the raw convertion.

Thanks A LOT Xenskhe!, I'm gonna have to do my homework on spot metering right now. My 1100D has three metering modes; evaluative (the one I use always), Partial (which, as far as I know measures the light in the focus point of the image) and center-weighted average which measures the light in the center of the image. Do you know of any videos or e-lessons to know how to work on metering with these restrictions? I`ll be studying on this and see what I can learn... Thanks a lot pal!

Regarding the crop you tried, please send it to me via private message, I´d love to see that so I can learn from you.

Partial seems to be like a big spot meter area on that camera. If you were to try it with also negative (-) EV compensation, it requires that you lock that metered reading with the AEL button (depending on the camera and how this is set up, the AE lock button may work as ON/OFF toggled or AE locked while the button is held down orshutter button is depressed half way, or it can also be set to lock both exposure and AF similtaneously..on some cameras). The thing to avoid with partial or centre-weighted is to meter off of a bright scene and the camera treats it as a middle luminance value, casting everything dimmer as too dark. By manipulating the spot/partial using EV+ or - compensation, you are able to more closely match the meter with the luminance of different subjects. Your camera can cope with about ten stops dynamic range, if you print it might be reduced to about five plus black and paper white. A zone is a stop; your camera has +/- 2 or 3 stops (EV) compensation dial.

Zone Description
0 Pure black
I Near black, with slight tonality but no texture
II Textured black; the darkest part of the image in which slight detail is recorded
III Average dark materials and low values showing adequate texture
IV Average dark foliage, dark stone, or landscape shadows
V Middle gray: clear north sky; dark skin, average weathered wood
VI Average Caucasian skin; light stone; shadows on snow in sunlit landscapes
VII Very light skin; shadows in snow with acute side lighting
VIII Lightest tone with texture: textured snow
IX Slight tone without texture; glaring snow
X Pure white: light sources and specular reflections

If use spot (see how partial copes) set -2 EV (III) meter into the shadows, and use AE lock, you'll get good exposures (raw). If your camera still has the dynamic range to go further, you could try -1.33 EV instead of -2.

Most reactions

Back