Frustrating moon shots!

Yeah I'm pretty sure that Flickr strips the .jpeg of the EXIF data when it re-sizes them for the different default sizes, and that's what I'm linking to so it results in no EXIF data :-\

In the past I've rarely tried the EXIF viewer on my own photos just assumed that data was there. I suppose I'll post it from now on just to be safe.

Any way, hope those settings get some better results for you Perfectly

I think (and keep in mind, I'm still a noob) not having the tripod is really going to make it difficult... Unless you have something to stabilize your camera on, then you are going to get some amount of motion blur :/

Best I can do for ya :( Sorry!

I was attempting the shot of my patio.. resting my camera down on the ledge--cradled. was pretty stable.

I just got done taking numerous different shots through P, and M mode... and adjusting all the settings.... wow.yeah that didnt work out to well.lol

I haven't really taken moon shots before but I am pretty sure you need to use a fast shutter speed. That may be why it looks like a blurry blob, because the moon is extremely overexposed/blown out due to too slow a shutter speed and just looks like a glowing orb. If you shot at 200mm and made sure your shutter speed was pretty fast it may work out better. Obviously you will need to adjust your ISO and aperture to match your shutter speed accordingly to achieve the "right" exposure. Sorry I'm not giving you any specific numbers, I am just not that experienced with moon shot specifics. I suppose you can think of it this way; The light we see illuminating the moon is that of the sun and to properly see those details, craters, shadows, etc., you will need to adjust your setting as though you were shooting something illuminated by sunlight.

well that helps a LITTLE, lol but i still have no idea what settings does what when i adjust it... and what needs to match what..
I am reading a couple of books at the time on photography, and still havnt gotten to anything that really explains it... so far most of what ive read online about, aperture, ISO,exposure..etc sounds so complicated.

Yeah I'm pretty sure that Flickr strips the .jpeg of the EXIF data when it re-sizes them for the different default sizes, and that's what I'm linking to so it results in no EXIF data :-\

In the past I've rarely tried the EXIF viewer on my own photos just assumed that data was there. I suppose I'll post it from now on just to be safe.

Any way, hope those settings get some better results for you Perfectly

Thanks, Mac. Lol I hope so too..
:lmao: I know ive got ALOT to learn,but how hard can a MOON shot be! lol

i took some a 1/125 in Manuel mode and it turned out pretty good.tri pod is going to help huge tho at 200mm

yea, they do. it, however, remains in tact for the 'original image' which is uploaded. i usually just size mine to either 533px or 800px on the longest edge depending on the type of picture before uploading to flickr. this retains the exif, and provides a forum safe size.

Should we at least be able to get a little detail when we focus in though?

His shot settings were:
ISO 800
Shutter speed 1/3rd sec.
Aperture f/5.6

Ok.. so in Manual mode.. Im assuming?... I know how to change ISO to 800, and the aperture to f/5.6 ( think thats fully zoomed out)
but shutter speed?????? lol.... tellin ya' Im a SERIOUS noob here.. Dont hurt meh :O :lol::meh:

Should we at least be able to get a little detail when we focus in though?

His shot settings were:
ISO 800
Shutter speed 1/3rd sec.
Aperture f/5.6

Ok.. so in Manual mode.. Im assuming?... I know how to change ISO to 800, and the aperture to f/5.6 ( think thats fully zoomed out)
but shutter speed?????? lol.... tellin ya' Im a SERIOUS noob here.. Dont hurt meh :O :lol::meh:

in Manuel mode push info . the number to the left of the f is the shutter speed.rotate the dial to adjust the shutter speed.

your going to want a tri pod for sure.and use the timer to take the pic

His shot settings were:
ISO 800
Shutter speed 1/3rd sec.
Aperture f/5.6

in Manuel mode push info . the number to the left of the f is the shutter speed.rotate the dial to adjust the shutter speed.
oh .. haha.. so the 1/??? <- Is the shutter speed? And i want that smaller or larger--to have quicker shutter speed?

Ok.. so in Manual mode.. Im assuming?... I know how to change ISO to 800, and the aperture to f/5.6 ( think thats fully zoomed out) but shutter speed?????? lol.... tellin ya' Im a SERIOUS noob here.. Dont hurt meh :O :lol::meh:

Yup, in Manual. I would put the ISO to 100 (see my example above). The aperture is being adjusted for you while you zoom only because your lens has a varying maximum aperture. If you had it wide open at the shorted focal length and then zoomed in it automatically changed the aperture, it's different than just zooming or just changing the aperture. I suggest once you're fully extended to 200mm or 300mm whatever you're trying, then change the aperture to f/8, again like in my example above. There should all be somewhere on the back of the body look for their abbreviations then use whatever dial you have to increase/reduce them. At this point I'd suggest reading your body's manual and going through the motions of affecting each of these settings. These types of things you should have a grasp on before going any further.

The settings I used are above and were suggested to me in two different threads I referred to when I decided to try this. They're a great starting point and produced a decent results. Experimentation is necessary from there.

oh .. haha.. so the 1/??? <- Is the shutter speed? And i want that smaller or larger--to have quicker shutter speed?

Increasing the denominator means the overall number becomes smaller.

From the look of the last few question posts you should just read the manual a few times instead of asking each step of the way. Seeking out answers yourself from books and other resources is much more productive and satisfying than asking each step of the way.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back