FS: Canon FD Lens/AE-1 Camera

magkelly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm told this lens is pretty good, very sharp in most modes. It does appear to have some sort of auto A setting so I think it might be a later version of this lens. I'm seeing several out there that appear to be the same lens but that do not have the A for auto on the barrel. I'm not real up on this type of lens but I think so. It looks to be in excellent shape. I'm not seeing any glass yellowing or scratches et all and the lens looks to be opening and closing just fine.

It's a Canon FD Zoom 1.4 35-75MM and the serial is #319365. It has front and back caps, but no lens case. I don't have anything that fits it case-wise it's just wider than the ones I have, sorry but I'll securely box and bubble it to ship.

The AE-1 is the black version and it's WORKING! After 5 attempts and don't ask me because I really don't know what I was doing before but I went back to square one just now and it's suddenly working and performing like the dependable little workhorse I'm told it is! From what I can tell even the light meter even appears to be on, though I haven't really taken the time to check it that out completely. I'm going to run a roll of film through it tomorrow and see how it does. If all systems are go, then it's definitely up for sale. I've got the original manuals and a really nice bigger book about 70's era Canon cameras that can go with the camera and the lens.

Best offer on both or I'd trade for M42 Pentax stuff I can use. Looking for a good longer zoom in particular. I've got one that does up to 105MM but I could use something that has a bit better range. I'm trying to fill out the Pentax kit all I can and since I don't need the Canon lens and the body I figure why not sell them and buy what I really need.

Sorry about the dust on the outside. I did wipe the lens but I forgot to wipe down the barrel completely before I snapped. Some external dust, but nothing serious. They were stored for a long time. Everything looks good on the lens itself. I just need to take a lens brush and do a more through job of it. I have more pics if you like I can email them. Just quick one for here.

canon.jpg

More info and pics tomorrow, but if you like these, and I gather some of you do, then IM me and we'll take it from there!

Last edited by a moderator:
How'd the results with the AE-1 turn out?

Seems to be working, and I was able to use the light meter. Shot a roll through it, worked fine, but I haven't gotten it back as yet. Had to send them out to process and they don't have 24 hour processing around here anymore. They said a week most likely.

I'll post some pics when they come back, but this one may already be sold. I've got someone at a local college who may want it depending upon how well the photos I took came out. I'm not sure as yet. The lens is supposed to be a good one though and the reviews on the camera itself are excellent too so I am hopeful that I did okay and they came out respectable.

It's been so long since I shot a roll of film though I'm just hoping what came out of that little photo shoot isn't complete crap, laugh. I enjoyed the experience, but I was really missing the LCD on my digital something bad the whole time! It was a bit heavy for my hands, this camera, honestly.

I'm a very small person, tiny hands, and the whole time I felt like I was carrying a brick around. It's a solid camera, well built, but it's a bit on the heavy side compared to my digital or my Pentax Spotmatic. I think it's a great camera, laid out really well, very usable, but I really found it a bit too big for my hands.

I think someone bigger than I am would be perfectly fine, but I just wasn't too comfortable using it. I couldn't quite get my little fingers in the right places sometimes without it being a bit awkward. It felt a bit like I had gone from driving a mini to driving an SUV. I could still do it, but it was admittedly a bit hard to see over the dash, grin...

Last edited:
I had an AE-1 for a while that I just gave to a friend whose getting into photography. I loved that thing, but I got it for really cheap so it was easy to let go (at the time). Now I find myself wanting another one. I also have a Minolta XG-7 from around the same era, but as far as viewfinder clarity and ruggedness of build, the XG-7 doesn't hold a candle to the AE-1. The Canon 50 f/1.8 glass is nice and sharp and FD series lenses are really inexpensive. But I agree that it's awkward for someone with smaller hands, especially since they move the shutter release so far towards the middle of the body.

If things don't pan out with your local college student, keep me in mind.

Will do. I have one of those XG-1's also. I haven't played with that though. It didn't seem as good to me as my Pentax or the AE-1. Flimsy, but it is the right size for a person with small hands.

Most reactions

Back