Fuji Velvia 50 samples and question about grainy black

ulrichsd

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, so I'm 34 so I'm old enough that I've taken a lot of film photos in my youth. But this is my first time using slide film. Some of my photos from my first roll I'm pretty happy with. But I've noticed that the blacks have noticeable grain, some more than others.

Here's a full example, it doesn't look bad at small resolution or 4x6in, but a tight crop shows what I mean. (the 1 photo is my best black grain, the 2 photo is a crop of one of the worse examples). These were developed and scanned by Dwaynes photo.

If anyone was curious on the location, its Put-In-Bay, Ohio.

Thanks,
Scott

1. Fuji Velvia 50
50velvia1a.jpg

2. Fuji Velvia 50
50velvia1b.jpg

Here's another shot, I'm pretty happy with all the shots that don't have silhouette
3. Fuji Velvia 50
50velvia2.jpg

I wonder if Dwaynes uses a Noritsu.. doesn't look like anything i've seen off a Frontier. The scanner has everything to do how grain and tone is rendered. When it comes to grain, Frontier's have a "rounder" look to them, Noritsu's look like digital noise because of how the line scanner works. Considering it's a silhouette, try doing a .3 Gaussian blur on the whole image and crushing the blacks in curves, might make it look more like film and alleviate some of the noisy grain.

The gaussian blur thing is what I do with my Noritsu scans from RPL, it makes a huge difference and you don't lose any real detail.

Full Image:
6929343726_cd4501f654_b.jpg

100% crop from scan, TIGHT detail, but odd looking grain:
6929343814_503ce3055c_z.jpg

Adding a .3 gaussian blur, not quite as tight, but still great, and looks more like film grain:
7075419411_cf2ff887fa_z.jpg

This is what I do for my wedding clients so when they buy pictures blown up, or when I do double-trucks in the 10x10 albums they don't look like they're peppered with noise. Works wonderful on both 35mm or the 645.

BTW, these were shot with 400H on the Mamiya 645..I think, could be the Contax 645...can't really remember, but the bokeh seems more like the Mamiya's character....more refined, not quite brutally shallow with mad field curvature LOL.

Velvia 50 has no grain ... it is the ultimate film :sexywink:

The scanner makes a difference and will add noise ... if you took a really good loupe to that film I do not think you could see anything.

Thanks guys, I think you are correct, it is the scanning that is causing the grain.

Thanks!
Scott

you coul check your slide if you find similar grain ;) You won't find it probably. Worked alot with Velvia myself, and also did the scanning myself. The grain would mainly result from the scanning parameters.

you coul check your slide if you find similar grain ;) You won't find it probably. Worked alot with Velvia myself, and also did the scanning myself. The grain would mainly result from the scanning parameters.

Yeah, the file sizes are about 1-3mb, so high resolution scans maybe...

This is what I do for my wedding clients so when they buy pictures blown up, or when I do double-trucks in the 10x10 albums they don't look like they're peppered with noise. Works wonderful on both 35mm or the 645.

BTW, these were shot with 400H on the Mamiya 645..I think, could be the Contax 645...can't really remember, but the bokeh seems more like the Mamiya's character....more refined, not quite brutally shallow with mad field curvature LOL.

Thanks! I'll have to play with photoshop and try the gaussian blur and adjust the settings, I can probably get teh blacks blacker. The blacks are only were this is really noticeable at normal sizes.

Yeah, the file sizes are about 1-3mb, so high resolution scans maybe...
If for the file size you refer to a compressed format such as JPG, then file size is pushed up by noise (of which your scans show a considerable amount). If you refer to uncompressed, then 3mb is very little.

Most reactions

Back