Full frame lens on crop body

Discussion in 'Canon Lenses' started by explore.thru.lens, Oct 19, 2016.

1. Dacaur

Dacaur TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    What he actually meant is that if you took an 18mp picture on a full frame body, then cropped the image to what you would see on a crop sensor body, it would be a 9mp picture.
    While that may , be true it's useless information, and doesn't mean you will only get 9mp worth of resolution using the lense on a crop camera.

2. Soocom1

Soocom1 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    This is something I have had multiple arguments over.
    But simply put, if you use a FF lens on a crop sensor, the image circle is exactly the same because the mount distance is the same. But the crop only reduces the actual Field of View of the image.
    Its how you frame the image.

But the argument is actually over reproduction ratios. Thats the distance needed to bring an image to a specific size in making the print. That ratio is greater the smaller the image.

3. petrochemist

petrochemist TPF junkie!

Photos OK to edit
    Provided you can get it close enough to focus you can use any lens on any camera.

If the lens is designed for a smaller format it may only give you a small image in the middle of your sensor but that can be cropped if required. In some cases a lens can cover considerably more than it's original format implies. I've used several Pentax Auto 110 lenses on APSC & FF, and was surprised to find the 50mm/2.8 actually covers FF to the point that no vignetting was visible in the viewfinder!

If the lens is designed for a larger format, you'll only see the central portion of the projected image (this is what the 'crop factor' refers to). The remaining parts of the image are normally lost but can produce flare etc. if you have reflective portions of the camera/adapter illuminated by spare image. In most cases the differences between the image from a larger format lens & a native lens of the same focal length & aperture will be practically indistinguishable (just differences in lens character).

Smaller format cameras often have higher pixel densities than larger format cameras, and sometimes the lenses will be designed to be sharper with this in mind (the designers will not have to worry about producing a larger image circle, which MIGHT simplify things). A modern camera may out resolve older lenses, but this is generally only relevant for pixel peepers, or buyers of really poor lenses.

4. zombiesniper

zombiesniper Furtographer Extraordinaire! Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Agree. I tend to use mostly FF lenses on my crop body. Why? I get the sharpest part of the lens in front of my sensor. Almost zero vingetting and a bit better FOV.

5. Original katomi

Original katomi No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Like others here I use EF lenses on my crop sensor body, never had any problems. Like other have said using EF is future proofing just in case I ever get FF body the plus side a lot of EF glass l series inc can be got used thus giving a wider range of choice than efs

6. Soocom1

Soocom1 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    This is why I like to put on my old Kiev 88 lenses on the Canon, and even more so with the crops.
    Because the CoC is so tight in the center.

7. photoflyer

photoflyer TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I'm guessing that some of the white lenses at professional sporting events are attached to 7D Mark IIs, a crop sensor body. Others have done a good job of clarifying the issue.

8. beagle100

beagle100 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit

yes, full frame lenses work well on crop models
    www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless