Full Frame lens question

goguygo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello, first post!

I have a full frame Sony Alpha 850. I recently purchased a Tamron 10-24mm lens for my trip to the Canyonlands and Arches National Parks.
From approx 14mm to 10mm the margins close in a circular fashion. Is this a compatibility issue with this lens and my full frame body? If so, what do I look for in a landscape lens that will work?
Thank you in advance for enlightenment. :)

- Guy

Personally, I have not used anything wider than 24mm on my Full Frame cameras due to distortion (I think 20mm might be acceptable).

I have the Minolta AF 24-85mm for my Maxxum 9000.

Thank you very much for the information. It's been a couple years since I purchased this body and have been happy with it.
I have a 2.8/25-75 SAM and a 2.8/70-200 G that have served my needs to this point and I'm looking forward to doing more landscape shooting.
I have been traveling through the 4 Corners area of the US for the past couple weeks and out of web service to do any research.
I find it interesting that the local camera shop here in Moab would sell me this lens, knowing I have a full frame camera. This is certainly something I should have remembered beforehand, but I will be having a conversation with the shop in the morning.

I have been traveling through the 4 Corners area of the US for the past couple weeks and out of web service to do any research.
I find it interesting that the local camera shop here in Moab would sell me this lens, knowing I have a full frame camera. This is certainly something I should have remembered beforehand, but I will be having a conversation with the shop in the morning.

You mean the little shop that's on the main strip? The store owner seems to be quite firm on what he claim to know. I was there to get a remote trigger for my D700 cus mine broke after sand rained on me in Antelope Canyon. I wanted to make sure that he's giving me the right trigger ( and not the most expensive one), but he was sure that it was the only one he has that was compatible.

Anyways, I have a 20mm prime for my Nikon. It really depends on the lens for the distortion. My 20mm prime does pretty well distortion wise. I have also tried a 20-35mm zoom and the distortion is worse at 20mm when compared to the prime lens. I was also in the area not too long ago and I'd say that I was using the 20mm 90% of the time.

Since you are at Moab, I'd recommend going to Arches at night to capture star shots with the arches. I did Double Arches at night because it's really close to the trail head, and it was one of the better arches for the shot. If I had the chance, I'd hike to Delicate Arch just before sunset and stay there for night shots. It will be quite a shot to capture for star trails. The hike is easy enough, but I can imagine how navigating your way back to the trail head can be confusing at night. Just prepare yourself well with markers and such.

Welcome to the forum.

In Tamron speak, Di II, means that the lens was designed for APS-C sensors. Di I, lenses are made for full frame/35mm film. So when you use a lens like this, on a full frame camera, you get vignetting. The good news is that you can either crop of the edges or just use it at 14mm or longer.

You might have to spring for the zeiss 16-35

You may want to look at the Minolta 17-35 if you don't want to spring for the Zeiss 16-35mm. I use the Minolta for close up wide angle shots.

Most reactions

Back