Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
pixels.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Does this make sense?

FFvCropsmall.jpg

Yes, it makes sense. Things to add would be that this is a comparison of the field of view and the specific crop factor that is being applied.

Muy bueno Sparky! I really hope this helps clear up all the confusion that the forums have been seeing as of late ;)
Similar photos/diagrams have been available on the net for years...and yet the confusion remains. I do hope it helps...but someone people just seem to want to be confused. :lol:

Nice, clear diagram, but the captions are a little confusing. What you are showing as the 'field of view' should be the 'image circle' shouldn't it? The field of view is defined by a combination of the format and the lens, it is not defined solely by the lens (ie the fields of view are the rectangles - they would only be the circles if the lens' image circle was smaller than the format, which is not the case here). The image circle is a property of the lens and only the lens.

(Keith - KmH - has a diagram that uses the correct terminology)

Last edited:
Nice, clear diagram, but the captions are a little confusing. What you are showing as the 'field of view' should be the 'image circle' shouldn't it?

So change FOV to something like "Scene projected by __ lens"?

The field of view is defined by a combination of the format and the lens, it is not defined solely by the lens (ie the fields of view are the rectangles - they would only be the circles if the lens' image circle was smaller than the format, which is not the case here).

I think it's precisely the case here..... using a crop lens on a full sensor will not fill it, thereby affecting the FOV

The image circle is a property of the lens and only the lens.

Which I think the diagram shows... regardless of which sensor is used, the image circle remains the same.

Maybe I should have been clearer:

The circles in your diagram (marked as 'fields of view') are not 'fields of view', they are 'image circles'.

The rectangles in your diagram are 'fields of view'.

Best,
Helen

Now, Now, I thought I had it at last but there you go again confusing me :lmao:

It's easy! The circles are the image that the lens refracts(right word here?), the squares are what each sized sensor actually captures.

It's easy! The circles are the image that the lens refracts(right word here?), the squares are what each sized sensor actually captures.

lol, I understand, it was a joke with all that chat with Helen,, Thank You much

It's easy! The circles are the image that the lens projects, the squares are what each sized sensor actually captures.

I fixed it for you.

OK, so for beginners, that still does not mean very much. Their question would be which is better and why? Looking at photos side by side, full frame does not always come out on top in sharpness and detail, so why buy a 20 meg full frame and not a 20 meg crop body for example?

skieur

Most reactions

New Topics

Back