Full Frame vs. APS-C Sensor - Do you really need to upgrade to Full Frame?

Jens Heidler

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone,
I was considering for months to buy a full frame camera body. That's why I borrowed a similar full frame body (same amount of megapixels, same focal length) to compare it to my a 6300 showing it's benefits and disadvantages. Although I think the APS-C, together with the "sony fe 90mm f2.8 macro g oss", works really great in most situations, I decided to preorder the sony alpha 7 iv to be more flexible with my video projects. Especially the greater dynamic range (I did not focus on in this video), animal eye focus and the possibility to 240MP image resolution have made the difference. Which camera bodies are you using and why? In this video I am explaining the differences by pointing out all the benefits and disadvantages (focussing on Macro Photography):

I upgraded from FF to APS-C -- very happy with change.

Joe

Started out with a Nikon D7200 24mp APS-C, but soon upgraded to a D500 APS-C for wildlife, especially birding, because of the superior AF system and 10fps continuous shooting speed. Added a 46mp D850 FF mainly for landscapes but, it is all about the glass. The glass I have is significantly more expensive than my 4 dslr camera bodies. Higher mp really comes in handy when you can't get close enough to fill the frame and need a heavy crop. Now that Sony is capable of producing 60mp sensors, it won't be long before Canon and Nikon introduce 60mp models.

Everything I read about the Sony a7R iv is very good, especially now that Sony is producing a full range of very high quality glass. Enjoy.

When I upgrade from aps-c it won't be an "upgrade", it will be a "second camera".
I really can't see getting rid of my crop camera and going only FF, why lose the extra magnification on my wildlife pictures? In 90%+ of situations, I don't think I would benefit from FF in any case...
I would like to get into astrophotography though.... FF would be better for tht I hear...

When I upgrade from aps-c it won't be an "upgrade", it will be a "second camera".
I really can't see getting rid of my crop camera and going only FF, why lose the extra magnification on my wildlife pictures? In 90%+ of situations, I don't think I would benefit from FF in any case...
I would like to get into astrophotography though.... FF would be better for tht I hear...

I had the same train of thought, but I have been rethinking that lately. Using my FF D850 in DX mode I've got 19.4mp. My D500 aps-c is 20.9mp. That's a 7% difference, so more and more I have been taking my D850 out birding with me. With the release of the Sony 60mp a7R iv, it might be time to rethink the need for aps-c bodies. It won't be long before Canon and Nikon come out with 60mp bodies.

I use a Panasonic Lumix G9 + Panasonic 100-300mm II for my wildlife pictures, so effectively I am shooting at 600mm + I can zoom in within the camera. I am very happy with the performance of my gear.

The answer really is "it depends ". There are now some truly incredible full frame sensor cameras from Nikon Sony and Canon and now,Panasonic.about a month ago I had the opportunity to briefly handle the new Panasonic 24 megapixel full frame mirrorless, which has styling cues that make it look like a single lens reflex.

While there are advantages to the APS-C format The majority of the companies have a better and more complete lens lineup for their full frame cameras. Fuji would be a notable exception, with its very good lineup of lenses specifically designed and made for use with APS-C cameras

as was mentioned above, with a full frame camera it can also be used in a reduced frame format, such as 5 to 4, or 1.2 X, or 1.3 X, or one to one aspect ratio. Once we get to 60 mp on full frame, The crop size will provide us with images with plenty of detail!

I think within a few years we will no longer view aps-c the way we do today

Its really up to you.

Just remember that the larger the sensor, the more (relative) DR.

Not to say APS doesn't have good DR, but the higher the resolution if equal-equal.

Here is quick link to Canon's take on it.
Pixels and Image Size - Canon Professional Network

I have a Canon 7d and a Canon 5d. The 5d is full frame. The 7d is not. I find myself shooting more with the 7d lately.

I actually think the discussion should not be format versus format,but rather specific camera model versus specific camera model. For example the Nikon D850 versus say the Nikon D500, or the Sony a 7R-III versus let's say,the Sony A6300. In today's market there are many different cameras, and for example while the Nikon D 7200 is a crop body camera, so is the D500 and in full frame bodies Nikon has the D5, the D850, and the D750, and also the D610. The D5 versus the D 7200 is not a fair comparison.

One really needs to look at more than the sensor size of the camera, and to look at the actual camera itself.

I guess if money is no object you could have two full frame bodies, but for many that's not really am option.
Sure if you have a 46mp FF camera, your cropped pictures will look just as good as last generations 20mp crop sensor bodies.

I think a better comparison for the 90% of the population to whom dropping $2500 on a body isn't an option, would be a current generation crop sensor at 24-32mp vs a previous generation used FF at 20-26mp. At least, that's how I look at it.
I'm still trying to figure out how to come up with the $1300 I'll need for a Canon 90D body to replace my t6i when it's released. A new full frame camera in that price range is going to be 20mp, with far inferior auto focus and other specs.... A used 22mp full frame is still pushing $800+.....

The Nikon D800 was $3695 when new. I bought a used Nikon D800 last summer for $798 . It has extremely good image quality, and is a 36 megapixel camera.

Two summers ago I bought a used Nikon D610 with a Nikon battery grip, two chargers, and four batteries and I paid $648, which at the time was a pretty good deal. It is a 24 megapixel camera.

On May 3 of 2005, I spent $5000 on a brand new Nikon D2x. Today a decent D2x sample can be bought for around $350.

in 2012 I bought a Nikon D3X, a 24 megapixel full frame camera which originally retailed for about $8,000 when it was premiered in 2009.I got the camera from a local store at a screaming deal, around $2800-- at the time when clean,used cameras of the same model were going for around $4500. I shot that camera for five years..today good clean used D3X samples are around $1150.

I really think more people should look into buying a generation or two behind the current model. If you go a little ways back in time you can buy what used to cost thousands of dollars at a very substantial price discount.

Last edited:

I did this in reverse, sort of. I got rid of my low end crop sensor for a full frame and love it. But I also wanted a second body and it only made sense to get a crop sensor to have the broadest range of capabilities.

When heading out, if I am only going to take one, I ask myself a number of questions:

-will I be traveling with limited baggage - the APS-C is much smaller
-will there be low light situations - the full frame is better at high ISO
-will I be shooting sports or wildlife outside - the crop sensor has better reach with the same glass
-will I be shooting landscapes - my best glass for this is Canon L and wider on the full frame
-will I be shooting in weather - the full frame is weather sealed

There are other considerations and given the choice I would always prefer the full frame but it is not always the right tool for the mission.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back