What's new

Full Frame vs Crop Sensor

And what about this?

eso1119j.jpg


lot of big big sensors = one big big big sensor?

(268 mp, if you're wondering)

Be careful, I dont think Josh appreciates you leaking pictures of the D800..

Ah right, this explains why Nikon are having trouble meeting manufacturing demands!! Didn't realise the new D800 was 700KG. Sounds like a nice walkaround camera!!!

Ah great, 200MP... AH wow this means I can CROP CROP CROP as much as I want, it means I don't have to frame and compose photographs properly. It means I can do loads and loads and loads of cropping so I can now just snap away, and go home and crop the photo to make decent photographs!
 
Yep. And Gigipan is teaming with Ford and Nikon to create the Terrapan system. It will be shipped pre-mounted on a F150 crew cab and is capable of photographing THE ENTIRE WORLD.
 
Other than the sensor size difference, I am starting to feel the pain of owning a full frame camera. LACK OF AFFORDABLE GOOD LENS!!!!!

There's lot's of DX lens on the market, but very few FX ones. Take ultra wide angle for example, I am stuck with my old AF-D 20mm F2.8 because the 14-24 AF-S is out of my price range. Whereas I just bought the Tokina 11-16mm for my sister who uses D90. Since DX is the main stream, I don't see the trend reversing in the future.


What about the tamron/sigma 14 f2.8, tokina 17 f3.5 or the tokina 16-28 f2.8?? The 16-28 f2.8 price is up there though...
 
I've been dreaming of building a low resolution, 4x5" 2d photo resistor by sublimating lines of Tin Oxide onto either side of a photo resisting wafer and measuring the resistance between the front and back of the sensor to form a passive imaging device.

It'd be hella inefficient, but i could say that I built my own sensor from scratch. I'll post details in the alt photo section later. I have work to do. Blech. Work.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
If you have 12,000,000 pixels and you put those pixels on a 36 mm x 24 mm image sensor, each of those 12,000,000 pixels are bigger than each of the 12,000,000 pixels on a 23.6 x 15.8mm (1.5 crop) image sensor.

The bigger the pixels are, the more light (bigger signal) they can gather. The more light (bigger signal) they can gather, the less image noise there is.

Be sure and take those Physics classes.

That would suggest that a camera with less megapixels would always be preferred. Obviously the pixels will be smaller as the number of MPs increases given constant sensor size (be it crop or full frame). But I'm guessing that as the MPs increase, camera manufacturers figure out ways to capture more and better quality light in sensors with smaller pixels. Correct?
 
If you have 12,000,000 pixels and you put those pixels on a 36 mm x 24 mm image sensor, each of those 12,000,000 pixels are bigger than each of the 12,000,000 pixels on a 23.6 x 15.8mm (1.5 crop) image sensor.

The bigger the pixels are, the more light (bigger signal) they can gather. The more light (bigger signal) they can gather, the less image noise there is.

Be sure and take those Physics classes.

That would suggest that a camera with less megapixels would always be preferred. Obviously the pixels will be smaller as the number of MPs increases given constant sensor size (be it crop or full frame). But I'm guessing that as the MPs increase, camera manufacturers figure out ways to capture more and better quality light in sensors with smaller pixels. Correct?

Yes, that's correct. The comparison made assumes identical technological capability in the production of each sensor. As the whole industry moves forward, every sensor has better noise/dynamic range than the previous generation. As well resolution goes up across the board. The point is that given a certain level of available engineering, a full frame sensor will always perform better at the same resolution. When you start comparing between generations the lines get fuzzy. There are new crop sensors that have higher resolution AND better ISO performance than certain old full frame sensors.
 
unpopular said:
Yep. And Gigipan is teaming with Ford and Nikon to create the Terrapan system. It will be shipped pre-mounted on a F150 crew cab and is capable of photographing THE ENTIRE WORLD.

I lol'd :lmao:
 
So how about..

FX lens on DX body... and vice versa?

My FX lens on my DX body = "only using the middle area of the lense or such"

My DX lenses on FX body = risk of dark corners and such, but i won't know for sure i sold them and ordered a FX body last night
bigthumb.gif
 
2WheelPhoto said:
My FX lens on my DX body = "only using the middle area of the lense or such"

My DX lenses on FX body = risk of dark corners and such, but i won't know for sure i sold them and ordered a FX body last night

D700?(;

and is it (necessarily) bad to only use the middle area of the lens?
 
2WheelPhoto said:
My FX lens on my DX body = "only using the middle area of the lense or such"

My DX lenses on FX body = risk of dark corners and such, but i won't know for sure i sold them and ordered a FX body last night

D700?(;

and is it (necessarily) bad to only use the middle area of the lens?

I haven't had a prob with either FX lenses on my DX body
 
2WheelPhoto said:
My FX lens on my DX body = "only using the middle area of the lense or such"

My DX lenses on FX body = risk of dark corners and such, but i won't know for sure i sold them and ordered a FX body last night

D700?(;

and is it (necessarily) bad to only use the middle area of the lens?

When you stop down a lens, you're getting more of the middle and less of the edges and that creates a wider DOF, so no it's not necessarily bad. It will change some of the characteristics of a lens between cameras though and using a DX lens on a full frame sensor won't let it shoot at the full resolution of the sensor.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom