Full HD or 4K TV?

David_low

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
david-low.smugmug.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My local area is still broadcasting using analogue with minimum HD content. I contemplating of purchasing a 48”-50” smart TV to replace my old 8 yr old TV. I’m in 2 minds between purchasing a Full HD TV (1920 res) or a 4K (3840 res).

Putting money aside, here’s my 2 questions:

1) Which type of TV will give me better image quality when analogue is broadcast.

2) When FHD content is broadcast, will FHD or 4k Tv made a difference? My viewing distance is abt 8’. I have read article that in fact to get any benefit of a 4k details, one have to sit nearer than 8’. I like to hear from people with live experience.

I do not wish to fall into a trap of future proofing by simply purchasing the best quality (which is 4k) as I understand from hearing (I maybe wrong) that if the content is broadcast in FHD (which is only 1920 res), the image will be stretched to fill the 3840 frame, hence its even more pixelated as compare to the FHD TV. Won’t it better in this case to view in FHD TV? Or no diff?

I know one way is to compare both TV of the same size side by side to view an analogue broadcast. Unfortunately shops don’t broadcast analogue content.

Your input appreciated.

I know one way is to compare both TV of the same size side by side to view an analogue broadcast. Unfortunately shops don’t broadcast analogue content.
Whatever kind of content they're showing on the two TVs side by side is still apples to apples. Which one actually looks better to you, no matter what the resolution of the broadcast is? They ought to be able to flip through a few channels also, in order to sell you a TV. Not all the channels will have HD content. Some will be analogue. If they can't flip the channels to show you, then just go to a different store and get them to do it. Someone will, and it'll be someone who really wants to sell you a TV.

I just bought a 60" HDTV for myself at Christmas, and when I'm watching actual HD content, it's so crisp and clear, it's a bit unnerving, to be honest. I still can't quite get used to seeing every individual hair, every skin pore, every blade of grass. If it was any clearer, I'd miss the whole story because I already can hardly stop thinking about all the detail I'm seeing.

But that's just my observation since Christmas. I figured I'd be used to it by now, but honestly, it still rattles me a bit.

I think that no matter what anyone else thinks about it, only you are going to be able to know what's right for you, and that means you'll have to seek out stores that will cater to your curiosity until you've satisfied that curiosity and come to a decision.

Whatever kind of content they're showing on the two TVs side by side is still apples to apples. Which one actually looks better to you, no matter what the resolution of the broadcast is? They ought to be able to flip through a few channels also, in order to sell you a TV. Not all the channels will have HD content. Some will be analogue. If they can't flip the channels to show you, then just go to a different store and get them to do it. Someone will, and it'll be someone who really wants to sell you a TV.

I just bought a 60" HDTV for myself at Christmas, and when I'm watching actual HD content, it's so crisp and clear, it's a bit unnerving, to be honest. I still can't quite get used to seeing every individual hair, every skin pore, every blade of grass. If it was any clearer, I'd miss the whole story because I already can hardly stop thinking about all the detail I'm seeing.

But that's just my observation since Christmas. I figured I'd be used to it by now, but honestly, it still rattles me a bit.

I think that no matter what anyone else thinks about it, only you are going to be able to know what's right for you, and that means you'll have to seek out stores that will cater to your curiosity until you've satisfied that curiosity and come to a decision.

Tks Buckster,
I understand your pt. Problem is most of the shops are not playing analogue content, meaning they are not connected to TV channel. And my local TV stns are still broadcasting analgue with a small mix of HD content. Since i have a choice of HDTV and UHDTV (not 4k), putting money aside, I'm wondering which one will give me better image quality based on technical theory.

In summary, image quality is my priority when viewing analogue.

There is extremely little 4K content being created unless the TV you choose is able to upgrade the image it receives to 4K (tbh I'm not sure if any do this yet). The TV can only show you the quality it receives so if your getting an analog signal it shouldn't make any difference which TV you buy the quality should still be the same. But if your looking at future proof then your better off with 4K as in the long run content will be developed for it eventually 4K is only beneficial when dealing with large screens 50+ inches. Anything lower and you will be hard pressed to notice the difference between HD and 4K. One way to test is load a usb with various quality movies and plug it in to the TV in the store and see what you think for your self... Good luck on the decision

There is extremely little 4K content being created unless the TV you choose is able to upgrade the image it receives to 4K (tbh I'm not sure if any do this yet). The TV can only show you the quality it receives so if your getting an analog signal it shouldn't make any difference which TV you buy the quality should still be the same. But if your looking at future proof then your better off with 4K as in the long run content will be developed for it eventually 4K is only beneficial when dealing with large screens 50+ inches. Anything lower and you will be hard pressed to notice the difference between HD and 4K. One way to test is load a usb with various quality movies and plug it in to the TV in the store and see what you think for your self... Good luck on the decision
What is UHD Upscaling in Samsung H series TV Support SAMSUNG India

Tks guys for all the inputs.

I hv decided to get a LG Ultra HTV (3840) as it has great offer. This particular model has many freebies thrown in, its almost on par with FHD. So might as well get it.

A stupid question. When watching you tube, will there be any image quality diff if I view via the smart Youtube Icon or shld I google the internet for Youtube. I observe the interfacing differs but as for IQ, I don’t see much diff. Maybe eye sight no good enough to detect.

Tks for advise.

Most reactions

Back