What's new

Fungus? Grease?

Well, it's called "buyer's protection program" after all.

We'll see. The worst that can happen is I lose the money with a bad taste in the mouth.
My transaction history is excellent, always pay right after the auction ends. There's just no reason why I would cheat by swapping the return with a different item. We all pay attention to serial numbers so that will be a dumb thing to do.

I hope this is a mistake on his part. I rather not want to find out that I have been conned.
 
Who's side they take depends on a whole heap of criteria that seems to be known only to ebay themselves, but from what you've said you should be ok. If you paid by paypal there's their protection too, and if you paid by card there's protection under the various chargeback schemes.
 
The lens is not that bad!!! I had an 80-200 one-ring that had a CRATER the size of an American dime in the front element from a flying rock at a motocross event....still shot great!!! Those two little blips??? Molehill>>>>>>>>>>MOUNTAIN!!!

Those little coating blemishes are like Cindy Crawford's mole...

Hmmmm...I am at the end of my supply of "mole similies and methaphors".

Dude, don't worry about it! (By the way, have you looked at the front bumper of your car lately????All those paint chips and dings???)
 
Derrel, this isn't something on the surface that I can clean. It looks like two big blobs of oil on the edge of the internal glass elements. I wouldn't mind using it to take photos, but I will be worried about it getting worse later. If I can return it, of course I will!

About the dents and chips on my car... they happen after I've bought it, so it's my responsibility. The auction page of the lens said no scratch, oil leak or lens separation. The seller was being very specific about what it is, and it turned out to be not the case, so I don't really know how can he even argue otherwise.

Waiting for the other one to arrive, hope it will turn out well.
 
BTW Derrel, so have you fully tested out your 70~300 VR yet?

I borrowed one from a co-worker to do some studio product test shots and the CA is worse than the non VR version. The VR definitely helps when hand held. Just wondering what your assessment of that lens is.
 
Hey, was that the 50 1.4 AF-D?

Report this scammer to Paypal, file a claim against him and you 'should' get your money back.

If a credit card funds your paypal account, you have protection from your credit card aswell just to mention.
 
Yes it was the F1.4 50mm AF-D. It was a shame because the lens was practically brand new, with all the original packaging material, and the aperture ring felt good as well, except of course those oil blobs.

Can't remember if my pay pal was funded directly by bank or debit card... got to check it. Either way, it's not from my real credit card.
 
I have not really "fully" tested the 70-300 VR....to me, a test of a lens takes about a year...I live with a lens for about year, and shoot it in multiple types of weather....after a year, I know if I want to keep the lens or not, and what it is good for, and what it is less good for. I've shot it against two primes, the 105/2.5 AiS and the 180 2.8 ED-Ai-S, just to see how it compares to those two lenses. I think it acquits itself pretty well for a mid-priced zoom lens, but at the 300mm end, it's lacking a bit compared to a "real" 300mm prime. Focusing speed and sureness is surprisingly good on it. I think I will probably shoot it at the seashore later this summer, to see how it performs there, where there is some strong light. I like the size and weight of it!!
 
Sounds very fair to me!

It's weird that when I used my 70~300 on SLRs, I never noticed CA issue with any lens. When using the 70~300 on the D700, CA become pretty apparent in studio environments (shooting black products against white environment). Also, the lack of sharpness of the image becomes very apparent as well. Another thing I noticed is the exposure tends to be one stop more, which means I have to compensate by stepping it down. This only happens with the 70~300 lens. When I was using my co-worker's VR version, I had no problem with exposure. My lens has been abused quite a bit, but it's still usable. No big deal at this point of time.
 
Funny this, cos it would appear I have now just had my first mixed experience with ebay buying!

My new Sigma 50 1.4 seems to function properly, no infamous focussing issues thank god! But.. scuffs on outside of lens and the seller couldnt be arsed to clean the front element before sending it! The scuffs were not mentioned in his listing which disappoints me, more worrying to me is the fact this 'plank' of a seller may of dropped it. Hopefully causing no greater damage!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom