Funny Observation

Dont even try and tell me that when you guys are walking around somewhere and you see an slr you don't stop looking at it till you figure out what mind of camera it is... LOL

Haha guilty :mrgreen:.

Even caught one guy stalking me, tried tying his shoes so he could bend down to read the camera make, then followed me for a few stores (I was watching him thru window reflections) which is odd because my camera came with this obnoxious strap that says NIKON D700 in huge letters and it's hanging from my neck,

After seeing the huge D700 text in neon yellow on your strap, he was probably waiting for you to walk down a dark ally. I'm thinking about getting a nondescript plain black strap, I don't feel any need to advertise which model of camera I have when I'm walking around.

I've noticed this to. Im a teenager, im 16 and a lot of folks don't take teens seriously. But when im out walking a trail with out a camera(rare.) people wont even say hi or how are you. But with a camera they stop, ask questions , ask me if i got any good shots today and some of them even know what they are talking about! It's strange, but thats how it goes.

Dont even try and tell me that when you guys are walking around somewhere and you see an slr you don't stop looking at it till you figure out what mind of camera it is... LOL

I black out all the brand/model logos on my gear with a marker. Originally I hoped it would discourage such behavior, but it just drives photo-geeks on the street crazy. At least it's entertaining to watch them try to find an angle where they can identify the camera. Eventually they'll come and talk to me. Sometimes I submit, and babble along with typical photo-geek gear talk. Sometimes I string them along, claiming it's a secret prototype. "This is the top secret Canon 6D with 24-70 f/1L; shhhhh! I think Russian agents are stalking me." ;)

I think DSLRs have become pretty common. I actually got more attention using my vintage cameras, and those are the cameras I notice. I don't really care what DSLR someone is carrying, but I'm intrigued by old folders and TLRs.

I think DSLRs have become pretty common. I actually got more attention using my vintage cameras, and those are the cameras I notice. I don't really care what DSLR someone is carrying, but I'm intrigued by old folders and TLRs.

Try walking around with one of these!!! People stare and finally ask what it is. Then you have to explain what a pinhole camera is and they usually are really disappointed!!

I am a bit like you, I don't care about what dSLR people have hanging around their necks. I am more 'intrigued' by Hasselblads, Leica Ms, older cameras in general (before the AF era) and LF cameras. However, I don't tend to approach other photographers as I don't like being disturbed myself when I am composing a shot or waiting for the light.

another good way for some attention is to use a lumiquest softbox on your flash - makes the whole setup look huge and everyone notices it!

I was going to to print a sticker that says "Canon" and place it over the Nikon on my camera:mrgreen:

Good point about replacing the Nikon shoulder strap, never thought about. I will admitt that I'm much more aware of who's watching me and where I go when I have the camera.

"Leica" would be much funnier on a huge slr...

After I thought about for a while, I figured why would I want to downgrade to a Canon:mrgreen:

maybe I'll use Leica,...... Polaroid would be funny

...I don't tend to approach other photographers as I don't like being disturbed myself when I am composing a shot or waiting for the light.

I don't mind chatting, but I get bored pretty quickly if it's going to be a Canon/Nikon discussion. I think Canon and Nikon are great tools, but it's like discussing Stanley or Craftsman hammers. Yep, they are the hammers that every has. Good for pounding nails. Yep.... sigh.

I find it ironic that photographers are mostly concerned with what lens I'm using, and where the body I'm using stacks up in the price hierarchy compared to theirs, while non-photographers often ask if the light is good or comment on the subject matter.

Oh 10 points. :lol:

t_shirt1b.jpg

Hey, no comments from the peanut gallery... lol Ack! That reminds me... I still have to get the website ready... lol

BTW, I'm sure the D700 being a bit bulkier AND having the batt pack on it, is going to attract even more attention than my piddly little D300. :lol:

I'll let you know by next week! :D

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back