What's new

Gannets of Bass Rock

Joined
Oct 18, 2011
Messages
6,111
Reaction score
2,486
Location
Glasgow, Scotland
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Got the chance to test out the new 100-400mm L II last weekend. Took a RHIB out to the Isle of May, and stopped off at Bass Rock and the UK's largest gannet colony. Photography was challenging, as there was a 3-6ft swell, and the boat was bouncing a bit, so getting a subject in the viewfinder for long enough to take a shot was a challenge. I did manage a small set though. The last isn't quite as sharp as I would like, but with a moving boat, and flying gannets it's all a bit of a punt anyway!

Bass Rock Gannets 02 by wee_pete, on Flickr

Bass Rock Gannets 01 by wee_pete, on Flickr

Bass Rock Gannets 05 by wee_pete, on Flickr
 
Last edited:
Good shots, but number three for me .... :encouragement:
Thanks Jeff15, yeah, the sky is a lot better in that one. Hopefully I'll get another crack at them next year, I'm hoping to go back when the puffins will be there. We were a bit late this year, so most of the interesting birds had gone.
 
Excellent set! My favorites are #1 and #3. Truly amazing bird, to be sure!
Thanks Tony, gannets are a pretty cool bird, they have a 6ft wingspan and can dive pretty deep. When you see them circling in numbers and plunging into the water like a bullet it's spectacular. We had them diving around us on a recent fishing trip, but only had my cell phone that day.

P.S. I've replaced the originals with links to my flickr, as I'd inadvertantly put in the thumbnails, so these should be better quality now!
 
Very nice set! And a great job considering the bouncing you must have been enduring. I like the first two with the primary subject in focus and the others just enough out of focus to make them nice shots. I like the last one for the perspective and composition.
 
Nice catch i find birds in motion are challenging at any time. Sometimes you think you captured them but the camera just didn't quite get them. Other times your surprised and you got the shot. Either way the fun is just shooting.
I like #2 the overall scene works for me.
 
Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom