Photo series for critique...

paulpippin29

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all. Been a while since I've posted anything on here, and thanks to all of you forum members, I'de like to think I've improved a bit, as I've followed any and all advice given in the past.

So, here's a series of photo's, 29 of them I believe, which I apologize for if that's too many to post in a thread, but wanted to showcase some of my more recent work.

4 different models here, one being shot outdoors, the other three indoors. The first model is the most recent of them all, having taken these photo's this month, the other two, were both taken a couple of months before.

All photo's were taken with my Canon Rebel XSI, using the 18-55mm kit lense, which I still cannot afford to replace. I keep trying to save, but something always come's up! :)

The lighting was provided by both nature and man, no flash used at all, nor any sort of lighting rig, which I don't own anyway, nor can afford. Some of these images will more than likely draw instant lighting critique, as I too will agree that some of them needed more light, but, I thought they were descent given the circumstances provided.

All images taken using RAW format, and edited only slightly using DPP and PS, which I prefer over using the built in "picture styles".

Anyway, and regardless, all images below are the product of being a member of the forum... you folks have taught me SO much, and I thank you greatly for that. I'm also looking forward to the lessons that will undoubtably be learned from within this post as well.

So, thanks in advance for all comments and critique, and also, just for taking the time to look at all the images, and again, sorry for the large number, hope I didn't break any rules. Also, please keep in mind that these images were uploaded to Myspace originally, which has a horrible problem with slightly degrading images, so if you see some grain or noise, chances are, Myspace helped make that happen. These images have been uploaded for a little while now, and I'm just now getting brave enough to post them here :) Otherwise, I'de have gone to photobucket first, then here, but didn't plan on doing so originally.

By the way, if anyone is interested, the first model had several hundred pictures taken that day, and I uploaded the maximum amount of 200 of them to Flickr, so, if you'de like to see more of that particular shoot, the url is below:

Flickr: paulpippin29's Photostream

Ok, so, here we go.... Model One... photographed outside, late afternoon sunlight, in a field. The lighting varied here, as a couple of pictures will show true "dusk" light, as the sun had just set. We started with the sun up, ended after it went completely down, and just became too dark to continue.

ISO was set at 100, as low as the XSI will go, until the sun went down, then had to shoot it up to 200, and the maximum was 400. Aperture was set to 3.5, the largest my kit lense will provide, and the shutter speed varied from 1/250 to 1/20, of course, relying upon the sun.White balance was set to AUTO, as I've yet to master the perfect "outdoor" wb, and no picture style in use at all, as I like to do post in DPP and PS. Again, if you wish to see more pictures from this shoot, click the URL above.

#!...

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

18.jpg

#13... Same model, shot in my kitchen, using white sheets that I made a box out of, which surrounded my flourescent kitchen light in the ceiling above. I wasn't too happy with the lighting provided by the flourescent light, but, she wanted to do this, and it was on very short notice, in the middle of the night, so, did what I could, with what I had. Only two pictures posted from this series...

20.jpg

22.jpg

#15... Model Two, shot at work, in my hospital, in a very old room on the ground floor, which is just too nice to even discuss. I'm a fan of just about anyhing 70's related, and this room is definately, 70's :) Natural room lighting in use here, nothing more, This was an unplanned shoot, and I took many photo's, but am posting only four of them as I think they sort of sum up the shoot. The model had not prepared for anything like this, so, she looks as she looks, and she's my favorite so far. She's very natural looking, and a tad bit on the pale side, which I like for some reason. Camera settings the same as above, except for the ISO. This room required a higher setting of course, and I used either 400 or 800 here, can't remember, it's been a while, but other than that, same as Model One.

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

#18.. This was a random, test shot, in an adjacent bathroom, which was equally as vintage as the room itself, but rather than focusing on her, I focused on the floor, blurring her of course. I thought this provided sort of a weird, creepy sort of feel to the shot.

26.jpg

#19 Model Three... and she too, is one that just happened at work, randomly, no preperation, using a stairwell as you can see, and natural lighting as always. This girl was harder to work with because she was so shy! Was challenging, and unfortunately, I think they have sort of a "senior portrait" feel to them, which is never what I go for, but, I thought they came out ok. Camera settings the same as model one except for ISO settings.

27.jpg

28.jpg

30.jpg

31.jpg

32.jpg

34.jpg

35.jpg

36.jpg

#27... The fourth, and last model, she's one that I've posted before, and she was also the first model to be willing to shoot. I started off photographing her with my old point and shoot Canon, long ago. The location used here was again, at work, and presented some difficult light challenges. Natural light in use again here, as always, but it was much darker than I was used to at the time. I actually cranked the XSI's ISO up to 1600 for these shots, and it seemed to handle it pretty well, given the type of camera and all.

38.jpg

41.jpg

43.jpg

So there we have it folks... my evolution as a wannabe photographer :) Thanks again for making it this far, and also for any advice, critique that you may provide, as I look forward to it.

I'm nowhere near the level of a pro, but I'm planning on getting there at some point, as it is my dream to become a full-time, real-world photographer. Take care everyone, and thanks again :)

Last edited:
way too many friend....overwhelming.

That is a lot of photos... Here's what I've noticed: You've shot a lot of these with a short focal length which typically causes a lot of distortion in proportions (big noses, round faces, etc). Also, some of your angles are not especially flattering either. A couple of those close ups show how much make up your model is wearing (especially #14). You've also highlighted wrinkles or spots that you wouldn't want to be so sharp either. Compositionally, you've got random things in the background (heater vents, electrical outlets, doors), and you've got things passing through your subjects head (like the handrail). I don't know if you think post processing ruins a photo, but you could've used it to fix many of these issues. My suggestions: shoot at a longer focal length (50+mm), soften your models faces where necessary, pay attention to your white balance, get your models eyes in focus, and compose your shots in better locations with better backgrounds.

Some of this photos are very common and some are better. For me nothing special but i think you can practice and will be fine in future.

Only one that stood out...

I wouldnt use #14, kinda looks like she's dropping a deuce and you popped over the stall.

Also one thing I noticed on these (aside from posting too many in a thread) is that the white balance/exposure changes a lot. You need to be consistent from shot to shot.

I love the 5th photo. The model had way to much cakey makeup on and it looked reall bad in the picture. Her skin looked unfresh, which is something that a model needs, fresh skin.

I think with a little photoshop they could be better. I liked the idea of the bathroom one if it were not as blurry

I like the style in #28, nice composition with the color of the Pipe with her shirt.

I'll take the top ones phone number. :greenpbl:

I like the style in #28, nice composition with the color of the Pipe with her shirt.

Actually the arm coming out of her head looks weird. I would've had her posed different. Currently in that photo, the way her arm is positioned, it kinda reminds me of hellboy.

I wouldnt use #14, kinda looks like she's dropping a deuce and you popped over the stall.

here's me reading this thread: :meh:
here's me reading bdavis' post: :lmao:

i could only see the first couple photos...good lighting, good DOF.
i think they could benefit from a little smoothing on the skin.
wish i could see the rest of this collection...i'll have to check again when i get home.

Ok, so far, some good points made, and well taken. I feel so embarrassed now about #14, lol... I was simply going for a different type of perspective, but now that it's been compared to her sitting on a toilet, I won't be doing that angle again! lol I never thought about it like that. Now, on to my questions regarding the crtique so far:

Too much cakey makup on the model (s)... I thought that too, but she arrived like that, and I do NOT have a makeup artist standing by, Lord knows I wish I did :) Should I from now on try to get her to go with NO makeup at all, or just a really toned down coating? She wanted to make her eyes pop out a bit, which I wanted as well, and I think that explains why she put so much on, perhaps anyway.

Skin smoothing? How would I go about doing this in PS? Keeping in mind too, that I have PS Elements 7, which is all I could afford. I do not have CS3 or 4 :( I have seen some expensive plugin's for PSE which will skin smoothing and much more.

White balance consistancy... as noted in the intitial description, the WB was set to AUTO at all times, and the photo's were taken in different locations everytime, casuing, obviously, a different look for each model. If there is a way to be more consistant with the WB, regardless of light or situation, what would it be? I'de love to know.

Thanks for the continued critique, and am looking forward to much more.

The only way I know of to be completely consistent when shooting a bunch of shots in a location is use off camera lighting. When I do this I can get consistent color temperature and exposures on every shot. This will also save you a TON of post processing.

The problem with her makeup was the foundation or powder. I tend to find that maybelline dream moose foundation is pretty cheap and covers really well. It also photographs great on the skin. I used that with a light dusting of MAC studio fix on these pictures, and her skin looks dreamy

524571852_FsfCT-XL.jpg

then i just did an layer of only the RGB and did a surface blur and used screen as the layer format

Most reactions

Back