Gary Fong Diffuser, yay or nay?

IByte

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just wants some feedback on a Gary Fong diffuser for indoor photo events weddings, portraiture etc. I looked at some of the big stores reviews, and kind of biased with their reviews, and YouTube is meh, just thought this is the perfect place for a few suggestions thanks.

Fong fail :thumbdown:

Get really good at bouncing flash instead... maybe pick up one of those foldable circular reflectors for when conditions aren't ideal.

Yeah I was thinking about getting a diffuser specifically for my Nikon SB-600, thanks.

Maybe indoors, in close confines, such as apartments with eight foot high ceilings, small rooms, aboard large boats--any place where the shooting situation is "confined". For example, aboard my in-laws' 42 foot boat, in the salon, bounce flash was ridiculous...the ceiling is so,so close to the flash that the ceiling is white-hot, and the fall-off is exceptionally rapid, leading to very ugly results...a "bare-bulb" type of flash, or a hemispherical-type diffuser would be (is) a much better approach than bouncing a flash. At longer distances, like say 15 feet or farther, or in larger rooms or outdoors, I don;t see any practical benefit to the Fong diffuser. It's like any tool; so many people say it's worthless...but that's an overstatement. The key is to understand the tool, and to know when to use it,and when to use a more appropriate tool.

A hammer is not a screwdriver. A chisel is not a knife. You do not hear people calling a hammer "worthless", no do you hear people proclaiming the screwdriver to be "worthless"...same goes for light modifiers of all types...there are situations where one,specific type of modifier will work well. I've just mentioned where I consider this type of lighting modifier to have actual, real-world applications: in close confines.

So this tool would be useful let us say a restaurant under that annoying low-I can barely see my steak lighting? Just trying to get a feel before investing, but I am still browsing the never-ending web. I heard some people say it's kind of hard to fit the diffuser on some of the bigger speed lights, and some see no difference ugh, why can't this be a video card lol

So this tool would be useful let us say a restaurant under that annoying low-I can barely see my steak lighting? Just trying to get a feel before investing, but I am still browsing the never-ending web. I heard some people say it's kind of hard to fit the diffuser on some of the bigger speed lights, and some see no difference ugh, why can't this be a video card lol

I am very fond of the Demb Flip-it... there are several good tools out there like that..

I have been looking at the Rogues bendable bouncers, the Gary Fong feels like I would be paying for the name rather than the product, but I will check out the Demb.

That Rogues looks very much like the Lite-Scoop (which has bendable rods inside the material).

There is a lot of info to take in from all sides. In the long run I plan on using my flash remotely and what will better suit my needs in the long run. Thanks for all your help, it's time for a few brews and sit back and veg for a bit, and let it all soak in lol 8)

The feedback I am giving you on the Fong Dong is: No.

I also use the Lite Scoop on the flash off camera

The Fong products use the flash very inefficiently. The small soft box diffusers work much better.

Most reactions

Back