GAS hit again and I had a nasty one! Starts with Hasselblad!

Soocom1

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
OK.

So with work set up the way it is, I have found myself with some money coming back. (Cash back for Gov. workers.. Who woulda thought eh?)

A dream of mine for a long time has been a Hasselblad.

And now i was able to drive home a small, albeit an older victory of a Hassy H1.

I am awaiting word on a P21 Back and then lenses.

The other half does know and has told me that it better bring in some money!

What say those who think I am stone cold crazy?

Would it bring in more money than a camera of a different type?

It'll bring in as much money as someone on Craig's List is willing to give you for that. Aside from that... I wouldn't turn blue, holding my breath waiting for the cash to roll in. I'd love to have an H1, AFD II, or similar, but I can't justify it. From a business perspective, I think you'd be farther ahead with something like a D5, D850, or 5D Mark IV, but I completely understand the GAS here....

Yeah, a 5DSR I think makes more buisness sense, as a kind of cut price MF camera.

But, I worked with a guy a few years ago now whom I found out was also into his photography. Turns out he was a joiner by trade and ended up in the water industry, liked his whisky too so we got on very well. He recounted stories of shooting weddings with his MF Hassleblad film camera, manual focus lenses. He was a keen amatuer, but there was nothing amatuer about his shots. I gained a lot of respect for him on that trip.

So yeah, I understand the appeal and no you are definatley not crazy.

Maybe that you will bring in significant revenue with the H1.
But more than your existing/other cameras, or instead of those cameras?

GAS is totally different than financial justification, because it starts with NO financial justification and may never have a financial justification.

I don't think it's stone cold crazy to spend a bonus on a camera...
(of course depends on the size of the bonus and cost of the camera, and it'll make money as well as any good camera and lens along with the talent and business know-how etc. of the person using it!).

But I think you'll have to wear a groovy outfit when you use it.

Last edited:
Some people have expensive vehicles, some people have boats, some people have RV's, some people spend big money on golf. In the scheme of things, camera equipment is probably cheaper then most of the aforementioned items, and generally holds its value longer. So you might mention to DW that you're actually being more frugal then most men by buying camera equipment and that she should appreciate how conscientious you are in not letting your hobbies become excessive. :allteeth:

We have a member here Who bought one of these several years ago, and it took really good photos with a standard 80 mm lens and the regular back. The photos are really quite good, and thr outfit cost him around three grand as I recall.

Seeing this piqued my interest, into doing a little research. The body minus lens and back is really quite reasonable, saw some nice used ones in the $500 range. My interest quickly deflated when a search on the P21 backs started popping up in the $3k + range, didn't even get the glass. LOL

Its a matter of perspective

Ebay has and several other sites have a number of DBs under the 1k range. And NOT the old haseone H backs.

If one can spend in 6 months on junk that costs the same amount, then why cannot one do the same and piece together a system . Fine I cant use it for a mounth or two but I have the body and back, just save up for the lens. Like anything else, one does not need to have all at once.

There is a digital back seller in Atlanta Georgia. They often have a surprisingly good inventory of medium format digital backs at reasonably good prices. The name of the outfit is Capture Integration

There is a digital back seller in Atlanta Georgia. They often have a surprisingly good inventory of medium format digital backs at reasonably good prices. The name of the outfit is Capture Integration

Cool site. They also have a lot of Large Format, and a rental program. I'm just under 2hrs from them depending on traffic. Might be a nice day trip, pickup KEH as well.

Well, here it is...

ZtDhuaO.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back