Weddings... I don't get it.

... i just dont see how someone can take 2000 $$$ in good concience for a day or two of work... what's up with that. sure, you have a good eye... but sheesh. seems like many 'pro's' hide behind all this expensive equipment and just look down their noses at amatuer photographers because in order to be a 'pro' you need camera x and y and z and etc...
doing weddings is good dough. simple. and personally, i don't think your paying for anything other than equpment quality... buy the best camera and your a pro... it's not science ... but the prices some wedding photographers charge is rediculous, no wonder people want to get into it!!
and also no wonder people turn to amatuer photographers for a better deal.

Let me say this in the nicest possible way.
You have no idea what you are talking about.
Read the thread.

... i just dont see how someone can take 2000 $$$ in good concience for a day or two of work... what's up with that. sure, you have a good eye... but sheesh. seems like many 'pro's' hide behind all this expensive equipment and just look down their noses at amatuer photographers because in order to be a 'pro' you need camera x and y and z and etc...
doing weddings is good dough. simple. and personally, i don't think your paying for anything other than equpment quality... buy the best camera and your a pro... it's not science ... but the prices some wedding photographers charge is rediculous, no wonder people want to get into it!!

Except for your logic, facts, grammar, spelling and punctuation, you are exactly right!

i just dont see how someone can take 2000 $$$ in good concience for a day or two of work...

Gotta agree with Sabbath on this one when he says:

Except for your logic, facts, grammar, spelling and punctuation, you are exactly right!

$2,000 to produce something that people will treasure forever actually seems quite low. (Which is, of course, why some people charge MUCH more than $2K.)

oh, come on. sure they will treasure the memory forever. it's their wedding!! but as the photographer it's not as though you're dressing them up and building the altar etc... of course theres talent involved, and good technique etc... but still, it's hardly back-breaking work.You can't take credit for the moment, just because you catch it! And you shouldn't charge up the bill just because you know people want to have a record of THEIR moment!

oh, come on. sure they will treasure the memory forever. it's their wedding!! but as the photographer it's not as though you're dressing them up and building the altar etc... of course theres talent involved, and good technique etc... but still, it's hardly back-breaking work.You can't take credit for the moment, just because you catch it! And you shouldn't charge up the bill just because you know people want to have a record of THEIR moment!

You are completely wrong. Wedding photographers earn every dime (and then some) if they do a professional job. Been there, done that. To say somebody isn't earning their money when you haven't walked in their shoes is not fair at all.

No, it isn't "back breaking" work per, but neither is performing surgery, or flying an airplane, managing a store or any of the other jobs that people do that uses brains over brawn. In many ways, back breaking work is easier than work that requires talent, creativity, artistic ability and intense concentration for hours on end.

It's worse than that. Over the course of the first 20 years of marriage a wedding album will save a marriage several times just in reminding the 'Bride' why she married that twit in the first place and then give him another chance.

Divorces cost a lot more than $2000.

Add to that the ability to sit down on a couch with your children and then grandchildren remembering and sharing the day and the people who were there -now living and dead- and having physical evidence that you can touch and hold up close is priceless.

The shame of it is that so many people can't see how important their past is to their future.

mike

Why is it that so many photography newbies want to take pictures at weddings?

I have to say that your post had me chuckling! I loved it!

I have been shooting photographs for just about 6 months now. People that I know who know that I've fallen in love with photography have, almost without fail, have told me "Oh, you should get into wedding photography!!"

I have NO desire to be a professional photographer, let alone a WEDDING photographer!! I can't even imagine the pressure!! The stressed-out brides, the stressed-out parents, the pressure to take perfect pictures with only once chance to do so!! Imagine if all your pictures come out blurry!! OH my lands!! I couldn't handle the pressure -- MONEY OR NOT!!!

So, I will just enjoy the hobby. I take pictures of things for FREE -- there's no pressure in THAT!! HA HA

Loved the post.

No, it isn't "back breaking" work per, but neither is performing surgery, or flying an airplane, managing a store or any of the other jobs that people do that uses brains over brawn. In many ways, back breaking work is easier than work that requires talent, creativity, artistic ability and intense concentration for hours on end.

Well said!

WOW, this sounds like sour grapes! And I HATE shooting weddings. And, yes, you haven't a clue........

Lets see. You meet with the couple for a couple hours 18 - 36 months in advance, sell them a package and schedule engagement pix. On a day between the 60 - 80 weddings you have scheduled from years before, you squeeze in a few hours, often on location way out of your way to shoot the engagement shots. This while trying not to rush them, giving them your undivided attention and convincing them they are your most important clients ever, but still making that portrait shoot in the executives home on the other side of town. As the "event" nears you need to confirm they are still engaged. Maybe negotiate the balance of the deposit that's due, or explain that sorry honey, but your deposit is non-refundable. And besides, the check was signed by your ex-boyfriend. If it's canceled, you race to fill the weekend, if not start planning. Contact the minister and see if he has flash restrictions, or places he does not want you to shoot from. Schedule a meeting at the church and meter the alter, see what external lighting you might need to set up. Visit the reception hall and do more of the same. Contact the DJ and MAKE him understand the needs you have for him to keep his light show off until you finish, negotiate a time with him to do so that you both can agree to. Go to the rehearsal, shoot it if that's in the contract. If not shooting, talk with the party to let them know what you will/won't shoot and where you will be and where they need to pause or stand for this or that shot during and after the ceremony. This is when you will get your first full dose of the evil Mother. His or hers, don't matter, one of them will be your worst enemy after the bride gets what she wants. The Bride claims that title until they say "I Do". The rehearsal is the time to deal with them in a preemptive manner as best you can while keeping that butter won't melt in your mouth smile tattooed on your kisser the whole while. Next comes that "special" day. ALL day. Don't expect to show up 30 min. before the service and have everything go as planned. Never did I attend a wedding and it go as planned. Then the reception. Expect a drunk relative to spill a drink on your camera, or worse in your pelican case. The DJ will play the "Let's pi$$ of the photographer game all night. If you are lucky the best man wont make a pass at the bride or your wife after he's had a few drinks and get his teeth rearranged. And there's more, always more. But let's move on, to editing, ordering prints, frames, mattes, and albums. Then assembling the package. Hopefully you did your part and exposure is right on, composition is outstanding, and the processor or printer did his job without a huge color shift to bright magenta. Now spend an evening assembling the album, framing the large prints and getting the mattes right. Including the appropriate packaging, wrapping, boxes, and written material that makes a pro look like a pro. Schedule a time good for you and them, mainly you and show/present the package. UNLESS, by the time they are to show up, they have already filed for devorice. (Try getting the balance paid then.) But I digress..... Sell your reprint services and advise how long prints will be made available for what price. Collect the remaining funds if needed and wipe the sweat off your brow. Anyway, if you smoke, it's time to light up a congratulatory cigar. I just have a diet Coke. Then race out the door and make it to that pet protrait you wonder why you scheduled anyway.

Yea, one and a half to three years of grief, planning, expense, and abuse for a couple a grand is really hiding behind all that expensive equipment. Makes me wonder why I quit weddings. NOT!

I do weddings for friends. I don't like it. I charge them a few hundred for the honour, and I rarely attend the reception (bit more $$$ if I did). Why do I do it? A little bit of pocket money and a favour since they don't want to hire a pro.

Those people who never have but do want to get into wedding photography generally do not have an idea what it's like to follow 2 people around, take photos often from uncomfortable positions, trying hard to be as quiet and out of the way as possible while still getting the photos, rant, rant rant.

Fortunately I tell people what they can expect. If you charge 1/5th of the going rate they really can't complain if I make them look fat. Still I'd rather be with friends doing portraits, or at a sunset, chasing birds (both kinds), or down at the pub.

Troll! Troll! Troll!

troll_2.jpg

"What is a troll?

The traditional definition of a troll refers to a member of a community or usenet group who makes posts deliberately designed to attract responses of outrage or indignation. It is the troll's intent to "hook" unsuspecting members into responding, (hence the term "trolling"), thus providing him/her self with the satisfaction of knowing they have impact on others.

A distinction must be made between true trolls, newbies who are undergoing growing pains as they attempt to adjust to community standards, and regular community members who simply have strong but otherwise harmless, dissenting opinions. Trolls should be removed, newcomers assisted, and contributing community members given at least a modicum of respectful distance."

source: http://communitiesonline.homestead.c...ithtrolls.html

Don't hold back not, Traveler... tell us how you really feel...

look, i have no interest in continuing this argument, you have a different opinion, fine. you are calling me names now... fine. i havent attacked anyones opinions, or tried to belittle others with name calling or 'cleverness'. i feel many wedding photographers are overpaid. no one has said anything of substance to change my mind, all i have seen is a few members overreacting to my opinions, which are neither designed to irritate or start an argument. feel free to continue if you will, but i won't be reading or responding. the last word is yours, enjoy it and then please move on.

Don't hold back not, Traveler... tell us how you really feel...

Well, I couldn't believe that someone who actually had taken a picture sometime in his/her life and could read well enough to parse this thread could not understand that equipment costs and time on-site shooting are only a fraction of the real value, completely ignoring talent, experience and ability - (not to mention post-processing and presentation time.)

So I assumed he/she was either doing a Oscar-worthy job playing dumb or was a troll.

I can't really speak from the photography side of things, because I am just coming back to this "world" after a 5 year break, but I was a club DJ and I can say that Mobile/Wedding DJ's were most definitely looked down upon. But in that case, most of it is because there is no art form in it. You are playing what people tell you to play, and not doing any edits or mixes or anything creative with it. Now, one could argue that they are "business men/women" who are doing it because they like it, and because they want to. Thats fine, but don't expect me to think of you on the same level as a club DJ who pours their heart and soul into their work. I used to work on edits and remixes and my own tracks for WAY more time then they put into marketing themselves.

Not that any of this applies to weddings!

I personally would never shoot weddings, I don't want to mess up someones perfect day, and certainly don't want to deal with brides or grooms telling me that my pictures make them look fat (especially when they are). Plus, I generally just don't like weddings, but I feel that I have seen some very artistic/creative shots on this site. I don't think that anyone should look down on anyone else, unless you use a P&S (JUST KIDDING!!) :lol::lmao:

Just my 2 cents! ;)

Most reactions

Back