Gear Question - Nikon Users

Which choice it fits better when you are a begginer?

• Get the just the lens for now

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Get an older body but better, and if possible the lens as well

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

dankomarcha

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
500px.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So, about an year ago I started taking pictures with my first DSLR, the D3200 kit.

But now I feel the need of an upgrade and I though that I could get a prime lens (like the 50mm 1.8) to get better quality image.

But I'm also thinking about to buy a used gear like the D90 for a good price and maybe get better features (like more focal points, bracketing, ISO, etc) but I´m not sure if worth it.

My budget it's not so high, that's why I'm thinking about this investment, and what could it bring to me.

I know the camera it's not the most important piece of the final work. but It would be awesome to have some advice about changing my entry level body to a mid-range but older one.

So, about an year ago I started taking pictures with my first DSLR, the D3200 kit.

But now I feel the need of an upgrade and I though that I could get a prime lens (like the 50mm 1.8) to get better quality image.

But I'm also thinking about to buy a used gear like the D90 for a good price and maybe get better features (like more focal points, bracketing, ISO, etc) but I´m not sure if worth it.

My budget it's not so high, that's why I'm thinking about this investment, and what could it bring to me.

I know the camera it's not the most important piece of the final work. but It would be awesome to have some advice about changing my entry level body to a mid-range but older one.
If your looking for better image quality, go with the lens. If you want better features, save your money and look for a good deal on a used d7100

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk

I would suggest asking the question "what kit do I want to shoot with in the end" and then working towards that kit, instead of wasting a lot of money on the steps in between.

I often think if I had gotten a D700 with 24-70mm and 70-200mm back when I started with digital photography, I would probably still be happily shooting that.

The D3200 has a good modern sensor, I doubt any new APS-C DSLR even D5500 or D7200 will give you much better low light performance or image quality.
D90 has old sensor, it will be not as good as a D3200 so you will actually downgrade in image quality if you get it.
Fast prime lens like a 50mm 1.8G will bring lots more light into the camera, give you better control on background and give you superior optics compared to your kit lens so it will give you much more power to improve you photography then a new body.

If you want better features then I wouldn't get anything bellow the D7100 which is a great camera with good sensor.

The 50mm 1.8 is a fine lens but what are you going to use it for? I say this because I find the 35mm 1.8 is a little more versatile on my D3300. It works well for landscapes, tight interior images, and as long as your not rightup in someones face, makes for a nice portrait lens. If you get too close, it can distort noses a little. The 50mm frustrated me in cramped indoor shots but everywhere else it was fine.

I love the 50 for outdoor portrait and candid shots. It's small so doesn't scare people and you get nice separation from the backgrpund without having to get too close. Also nice and light. Definitely to each his own because I rarely use my 35 unless I'm in a low light scenario and my 2.8 zoom won't cut it. The 50 on a crop body is tight for indoor use.

I would think moving from a 3200 to D90 would be a downgrade. It is true that single focal length lenses usually outperform zooms because they have fewer elements, less correction and more contrast. But the differences can be very subtle. Modern zoom lenses are really pretty amazing. My DSLR setup is all zoom lenses except for one macro lens and a full frame fisheye.

Perhaps you should introduce yourself to the tripod. The image quality issues you have may well be camera shake. The tripod will eliminate that and give you an honest representation of what your lens can do.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back