What's new

Gems!

Bitter Jeweler

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Apr 27, 2009
Messages
12,983
Reaction score
5,003
Location
Cleveland, Ohio
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The diamonds are only 1mm in diameter. Each are 1/100th of a carat.
Citrine, Garnet and Blue Topaz...

This was my first try with a 25mm Extension tube on the Canon 100mm f/2.8.
And first attempt at focus stacking. Apparently I missed the diamonds in the very front. I didn't think I did, but they are indeed blurry.

5495564401_baae558512_b.jpg
 
I love gems. Almost as much as I love turtles :D
 
i dont know much about diamonds and carats, but those look to be worth quite alot :gun:
 
Nice gems there, wish i could reach in through this monitor and take a look at them personally :eyebrows: , i think the Red gem blends in too much with the background, i would have favored the blue on in the middle
 
I should have looked for a bigger blue or purple, and I agree it would look good in the middle too.
 
Good composition; few more light rays could do better?
 
Very lovely. Can I ask why you went for focus stacking as opposed to f/18 or something?
 
I was simply eager to see how focus stacking worked. I should have taken a small apperture shot for comparision.
 
I think its the sight of the back of the gem, but the citrine looks soft in the middle of the main face, so maybe for these kind of shots you need to also push further into the shots depth with the stack so that you also get the back of the gem that is visible - otherwise it gives an odd look where you've a sharp surrounding and then the soft middle.

Also out of interest which focus stacking software are you using for this?
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom