General Beginner Question

No... the stock lens is great...especially the VR18-55.... but it lack precious focal range... range you will need... range thats gonna make you spend money on other lenses... this is why i suggest the 18-200 so you don't have to play this game...

if you buy the 18-200... the 18-55 would be obsolete in your bag because you are duplicating the range... this is why i say by the body only.... or buy the kit and try to sell the 18-55...

Say you are at a fashion show... you want a wide shot of the stage.... you fasten on the stock 18-55.... then... you want a nice vertical portrait of a stunning model... you have to yank off the 18-55 and put on the 55-200... while you are wasting time doing that.. the model has come and gone.. and is already in the bathroom vomitting her lunch.... too late....

No... the stock lens is great...especially the VR18-55.... but it lack precious focal range... range you will need... range thats gonna make you spend money on other lenses... this is why i suggest the 18-200 so you don't have to play this game...

if you buy the 18-200... the 18-55 would be obsolete in your bag because you are duplicating the range... this is why i say by the body only.... or buy the kit and try to sell the 18-55...

Say you are at a fashion show... you want a wide shot of the stage.... you fasten on the stock 18-55.... then... you want a nice vertical portrait of a stunning model... you have to yank off the 18-55 and put on the 55-200... while you are wasting time doing that.. the model has come and gone.. and is already in the bathroom vomitting her lunch.... too late....

LOL funny dude. But really thanks i think im gonna do that instead. It would save me money i can see it already

The thing is im realy into fashion photos and like experimental flicks. Im not realy into the Sports shots and landscapes and what not.. i heard its not that good to be limited and that a photographer should be more well rounded but.. hey thats just what i like.
eh?? Who says this, and more importantly, who cares? :confused: Shoot whatever you want. :)

Anyways what im really trying to ask is if it is a really dumb desision to go with the D60 kit for my first. i went to the local Cam store and held it in my hand..i fell in love with the way it handles too. im also a big fan of the Manual Focus( before i looked at the D60 i was gonna buy the XTi) From what i hear, Going with the D60 will Limit me to certain lenses , but will that really have a big impact on me becasue of the shooting styles that i prefer?
For serious fashion photography you'll want a really KICK ASS lens. Buy the cheapest body that you can possibly get by with, but then get a really nice friggin lens, like a professional f/2.8 zoom, or a large aperture prime like the 85mm f/1.4D (or the cheaper 1.8D to start off with). Lighting is also critical, so a good flash or two will be important.

What did you have in mind? Fully body shots or portraits? Also, do you have a starting budget?

I paid $799.00 at Cavalcade Colour Lab in Huntsville... You are in toronto and I priced compared this lens at Henry's for the same price...

You can find cheaper on Ebay but not worth it in my opinion after import fee's etc....

The Canadian Warranty is 5 years for this lens.... I also didn't want to risk a warranty issue where I had to send it to U.S.....or Hong Kong...

If you buy everything at once you should be able to get a better price.... try on a couple of small camera shops that have large purchasing affiliations...

good luck...

Damn thats out of my budget for now.. Im definatley gonna grab but not for now. I took some Sample shots with the 50mm lense in Henry's and loved the way it handled. i know theres no AF for it but thats ok..will i have problems taking shots in the Dark situations( Clubs, Social Events) with that lense?

you would need to provide more details on the lens....

but mark my words...... you won't stop at one...

I’m not really up on the latest Nikons, but I’m pretty sure the D60 and some other newer cameras can’t make use of the older lenses properly. It has to do with the aperture ring which can only be controlled on the lens. I believe, although the lenses will mouth (I think), you'd have to meter with the lens stopped down to the aperture you set on the lens, if you're able to meter at all.
That's incorrect. The only issue is the inability to autofocus with some older lenses.

well f1.8 is fast... and good for the low light work you mention....

but you only mention 50mm which leads me to believe this lens is prime....

meaning it's got great zooming features... namely... your own two feet....

you are just starting out and to give yourself only one range will certainly be a disadvantage to you....

this is like golfing 18 holes with only a 9 iron....

if you can't afford the 18 - 200 then buy the d40 or d60 kit with the 18-55 and get the 55-200 if you end up needed more range... the 55-200 is only $300...

but like i said... once you get hooked... you will find the money next month... and the month after.... then you will have a collection of sub par lenses and go through the whole cycle all over again.... so... in the end... it is cheaper to get the 18 - 200... and supplement your specialty lenses to taste after you know what's going on....

Most reactions

Back