General Beginner Question

Lu_myself

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi All! i've been doing some reading on this forum before actualy registering as a member. Im sort of a beginner. I've been doing a lot of reading up on SLRs and think im ready to pick up my first cam. The thing is im realy into fashion photos and like experimental flicks. Im not realy into the Sports shots and landscapes and what not.. i heard its not that good to be limited and that a photographer should be more well rounded but.. hey thats just what i like. Anyways what im really trying to ask is if it is a really dumb desision to go with the D60 kit for my first. i went to the local Cam store and held it in my hand..i fell in love with the way it handles too. im also a big fan of the Manual Focus( before i looked at the D60 i was gonna buy the XTi) From what i hear, Going with the D60 will Limit me to certain lenses , but will that really have a big impact on me becasue of the shooting styles that i prefer?

Welcome to the forum.

The deal with the D60 (and the D40) is that they don't have an internal focus motor like most other Nikon cameras do. Some Nikon lenses have their own focus motors and some don't. So if you tried to use a lens without a motor, you wouldn't have auto focus...but you could still manually focus the lens.

For some this isn't a big deal...for others it might be.

IMHO, you should not opt for the D60 if it limits the lenses that can be used, especially if you like to focus manually. There are too many great manual focus lenses out there to not be able to use them.

uh... don't know if i'm reading the above post right.... but .. just to be clear... you can manual focus any lens that fits the D60... you just lose autofocus if
it's not built into the lens...

Two big things to look at. What lenses you'll want to use (which should be the main influence of the brand of camera you go with since new bodies are out every year) and lighting. Good people photography requires creative ligthing and often dramatic lighting. Learning how to light will make your pictures look amazing.

It's not something a beginner usually hears or even looks into, so just keep that in mind.

Damn you guys are fast lol.. Thanks Big Mike manual focusing realy isnt a prob for me, i actualy like the fact that i got that kind of control. And Early what manual lenses exactly am i limited to?and when u say limeted i can mount it on the cam at all ? i though i was only limited to AF on certain lenses.

uh... don't know if i'm reading the above post right.... but .. just to be clear... you can manual focus any lens that fits the D60... you just lose autofocus if
it's not built into the lens...
What I'm referring to is being able to use MF lenses that have manual setting aperture rings on them.

Two big things to look at. What lenses you'll want to use (which should be the main influence of the brand of camera you go with since new bodies are out every year) and lighting. Good people photography requires creative ligthing and often dramatic lighting. Learning how to light will make your pictures look amazing.

It's not something a beginner usually hears or even looks into, so just keep that in mind.

great tip i'll keep that in mind thanks

Damn you guys are fast lol.. Thanks Big Mike manual focusing realy isnt a prob for me, i actualy like the fact that i got that kind of control. And Early what manual lenses exactly am i limited to?and when u say limeted i can mount it on the cam at all ? i though i was only limited to AF on certain lenses.
I’m not really up on the latest Nikons, but I’m pretty sure the D60 and some other newer cameras can’t make use of the older lenses properly. It has to do with the aperture ring which can only be controlled on the lens. I believe, although the lenses will mouth (I think), you'd have to meter with the lens stopped down to the aperture you set on the lens, if you're able to meter at all.

And That will screw me over big time ?? and what else do i have to look out for with lense options?
As I said, I'm not that up on it, but you may not be able to use some of the older AF lenses out there, either, for the same reason.

I love my D60..... no regrets.... great piece...

however... you should search this forum for D40 vs. D60 or see Ken Rockwells reviews for some perspective....

some quick things to pay attention -

The D40 has legendary flash sync speed for the price of the camera.... I don't need it personally... but you may need that doing fashion photography... I'm not sure...(someone here will correct me if I'm wrong)

The D60 kit comes with the better 18-55 Vibration Reduction lens, and 10meg pix which can be important if you crop your photo's.... (the VR lens works very well).. but costs more money...

If your planning to be a prosumer/hobbist (not pro) but still want a nice outfit.... I would advise you not to waste your money and follow this formula -

1. Pick the body only of the D60 or D40
2. Buy the 18 - 200vr
3. Buy the SB400 flash (or higher)
4. Buy a UV filter for protection, a polarizer for bright outdoor shot, and camera bag, and a tripod.
4. Add optional lenses to taste after you know what your doing

This idea gives you a great start... with lots of range.... it seems more expensive at first.. but trust me... once you get hooked you will be chasing lenses all of the place.... forget about the stock 18 - 55....

Go to a local camera shop and buy all these at once to allow for a better deal... you will end up buying this stuff anyway so just bit the bullet and go deep...

You don't like landscapes so forget about 10 - 20mm range.... I imagine with fashion you want combinations of tight and wide shots... the 18 - 200 would be perfect for this.... and you don't have to muck about changes lenses and missing shots.... this also prevents dust issue's which you can see happens if you look at this forum....

I was lucky with my local shop.... I bought the D60 kit and found I didn't have enough range... then I bought the 55-200... then I was pissy cuz I was missing shots and changing lenses.... My retailer gave me full value on the 55-200....bought my 18-55 for $130.... and even gave me full value on the UV and Polarizer filters so I could buy the 18 -200 and 72mm filters....

this is why I gave you the above... through my own experience.. however your needs may differ...

good luck

I love my D60..... no regrets.... great piece...

however... you should search this forum for D40 vs. D60 or see Ken Rockwells reviews for some perspective....

some quick things to pay attention -

The D40 has legendary flash sync speed for the price of the camera.... I don't need it personally... but you may need that doing fashion photography... I'm not sure...(someone here will correct me if I'm wrong)

The D60 kit comes with the better 18-55 Vibration Reduction lens, and 10meg pix which can be important if you crop your photo's.... (the VR lens works very well).. but costs more money...

If your planning to be a prosumer/hobbist (not pro) but still want a nice outfit.... I would advise you not to waste your money and follow this formula -

1. Pick the body only of the D60 or D40
2. Buy the 18 - 200vr
3. Buy the SB400 flash (or higher)
4. Buy a UV filter for protection, a polarizer for bright outdoor shot, and camera bag, and a tripod.
4. Add optional lenses to taste after you know what your doing

This idea gives you a great start... with lots of range.... it seems more expensive at first.. but trust me... once you get hooked you will be chasing lenses all of the place.... forget about the stock 18 - 55....

Go to a local camera shop and buy all these at once to allow for a better deal... you will end up buying this stuff anyway so just bit the bullet and go deep...

You don't like landscapes so forget about 10 - 20mm range.... I imagine with fashion you want combinations of tight and wide shots... the 18 - 200 would be perfect for this.... and you don't have to muck about changes lenses and missing shots.... this also prevents dust issue's which you can see happens if you look at this forum....

I was lucky with my local shop.... I bought the D60 kit and found I didn't have enough range... then I bought the 55-200... then I was pissy cuz I was missing shots and changing lenses.... My retailer gave me full value on the 55-200....bought my 18-55 for $130.... and even gave me full value on the UV and Polarizer filters so I could buy the 18 -200 and 72mm filters....

this is why I gave you the above... through my own experience.. however your needs may differ...

good luck

Sounds like a smart move.. So the Stock lense really that useless cuz im getting the kit with the lense for 719$

Most reactions

Back